[confirm] Intermittent exit to windows without error while playing tv or recording (1 Viewer)

htpcoz

Portal Pro
July 25, 2005
Brisbane
Home Country
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0.0
MediaPortal Skin: Blue Two
Windows Version: Windows XP MCE 2005 - Rollup 2
CPU Type: Intel Core 2 Duo - 2.4GHz
HDD: Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB
Memory: 1 GB 667 MHz
Motherboard: Intel G965 DTO
Video Card: Nvidia GT7600
Video Card Driver: ForceWare 91.47
Sound Card: Integratred Azalia
Sound Card AC3: optical
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: DVICO Dual Digital 4
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver: 3.50.02
2. TV Card: DNTV-Live
2. TV Card Type: DVB-T
2. TV Card Driver: 2.61.0.3
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: Nvidia Purevideo
MPEG2 Audio Codec: Nvidia Purevideo
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: Antec Fusion
Cooling: Nitrogon Passive CPU cooler
Power Supply: Antec 420W
Remote: Microsoft MCE (Euro)
TV: Panasonic CRT 76pw100
TV - HTPC Connection: Component via Key Digital transcoder

I've found that an issue that has existed for some time is quite a deal worse in the recent releases.

The issue is mediaportal exits completely, with no error no exception, just dumps out to windows while playing either a recording or a live show.

Interestingly enough in the case of a recording, I can replay the same recording to the same point, and second time around have no issue, so even if the problem is triggered by the content of a recording, the problem itself causing the crash appears to be intermittent.

This might only happen once every couple of days, and sometimes 3-4 times in one night.

It appears to be related to issues showing up in the tsreader. I can understand some stutter, or such if I have issues in the transport stream, but having the whole app exit without any automated restart/watchdog function being performed just seems crazy.

watchdog capture attached.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    It appears to be related to issues showing up in the tsreader. I can understand some stutter, or such if I have issues in the transport stream, but having the whole app exit without any automated restart/watchdog function being performed just seems crazy.

Ever heard about a crashing applications? :) But as requested, please tell the exact MP version you are using, since few "crash to desktop" (C++ side hard crashes) have been fixed in RC2.

htpcoz

Portal Pro
    July 25, 2005
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    actually I have, heard of crashing applications... I've been using MP for a few years now, so am intimately aware of unstable software :)

regardless of whether the exception occurs inside of or outside of the CLR I still struggle to understand why it just exits to windows with no exception, log message, and why the restart process doesn't kick in... but hey cest la vie

It is RC1.

When you say "few" (i.e not many) have been fixed do you mean "a few" (i.e. some) ?

If they are fixed in RC2, I'll hang out for RC3, as RC2 seems to be a bit of a debacle at the moment.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It is RC1.

Besides something outside MP, we can only give support for possible config errors etc, not bugs in older RC, as you can understand that would mean going backwards and covering old ground, which has most probably been already fixed.

Regards

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    If they are fixed in RC2, I'll hang out for RC3, as RC2 seems to be a bit of a debacle at the moment.

I am using RC2 on three systems, and have no major issues. It is better than RC1.

I would advise doing a clean install but apart from that you should be fine.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom