IRSS Translator Setup (1 Viewer)

Stan1w

Portal Member
May 31, 2016
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I was attempting to get the IR blaster working from my HTPC with MediaPortal to my set top box. I was originally working with IRSS build 1.5.0.62. I was having problems with the Translator program reading my set top box remote. I downloaded the newer build of IRSS 1.5.0.113. The Translator program is changed. I was trying to select and import the Microsoft MCE remote codes into the translator. I could not find any instructions on how to import the remote codes into the newer Translator. Most all of the Translator instructions deal with the older translator where the program would learn the remote codes.
Could you direct me to the proper instructions.

Thanks,
Wayne

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello Wayne

Just stepping back for a moment...
    Can you briefly explain how/why you think the translator is needed to help you get blasting to work?
    Normally it's not needed.

Stan1w

Portal Member
    May 31, 2016
    Home Country
    Ok, you may be right, the translator may not be needed. Is there a wiki that explains the set up of IRSS build 1.5.0.113? I installed the program as a server. There must be a way to input the correct set top box codes. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Wayne

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Is there a wiki that explains the set up of IRSS build 1.5.0.113?
    No... but as far as I'm aware, the STB blaster configuration is no different to previous versions.

This guide is a bit out of date, but it's the closest that you're going to get to an explanation:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/3_IRSS_(IR_Server_Suite)/Reference/Set_Top_Box_Blasting

In short (very brief - ask if you get stuck!):
    • when you install IRSS, you need to make sure choose to install:
      • its TVE 3 Blaster plugin
      • if you're using MP1 as a front end, you should also choose to install its MP Control plugin at the same stage
    • you configure IRSS to use your blaster
    • you enable and configure the TVE 3 Blaster plugin [from within TV Server Configuration -> plugins section] to:
      • connect to the correct IRSS server (usually just the local one)
      • associate an STB and "codes" with a tuner; if IRSS knows about your STB already then you can just select the appropriate STB profile, otherwise this is where you learn the STB's "codes"
    • if you use a WMC/MCE-compatible remote, you enable and configure the MP Control plugin [from within MP Configuration -> plugins section]
    If you didn't originally install either or both of the mentioned plugins then you'll have to reinstall IRSS. Sorry, there's no other way to get them. And you should definitely use the latest unofficial build (1.5.0.113). The MP Control plugin in the latest official build doesn't work with the latest versions of MP1.

Stan1w

Portal Member
    May 31, 2016
    Home Country
    Hi MM,
    Thank you for your input. I am still having problems getting IRSS to learn my set top box codes via the TV 3 Blaster plugin. I did get it to learn one code then I got back into the problems that I have been having all along. I get Learn IR Failed as soon as I hit the Learn button. This is the problem I was having when I had build 1.5.0.62 installed. I have tried reinstalling 1.5.0.113 without removing the data files. That did not help. I have uploaded the log files folder from Program Data\IR server Suite. I hope you can look through them and find the answer to my problem.

Wayne

Attachments

• eula.txt
      184 bytes

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Wayne, thanks for taking the initiative and providing the log files. (y)

I've looked through them, but I'm not able to use them to find the answer to your problem. The main reason I'm not able to use them is:
    2016-07-14 16:11:26.468973 [Info.][Main Thread]: Log Verbosity Level: Off

In other words, the log files contain almost nothing because logging is disabled. This can be changed:
    1. Open IRSS Input Service Configuration.
    2. Click "advanced" up the top.
    3. Change log verbosity to debug.
    4. Click OK.
    5. Click stop service... then start service up the top.
    Please fix that setting, try blasting again (at least 5 tries), then provide fresh log files.
    This time, please also provide the TV Server log files. You can find them in c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\log.
    It'd also make my life easier if you could zip/compress the log files before uploading them.

One or two other important points or questions:
    • What type of blaster do you have? I guess either a WMC/MCE-compatible one, or one that came with your Hauppauge tuner.
    • If you're using a blaster that came with your Hauppauge tuner:
      • I assume you've installed the required driver/program "IRBlast".
      • Learning/configuration must be done through the BlastCfg program supplied by Hauppauge.
      • You don't actually need IRSS. Instead you'd use the "ServerBlaster" plugin supplied with MediaPortal's TV Server.
    • When using IRSS, make sure you've enabled the appropriate device plugins in IRSS Input Service Configuration.
    • Remember that only one program can use the blaster/transceiver at any given time. That means WMC and any other software you have that may be using the blaster must be closed, disabled, or whatever is necessary to enable IRSS or TV Server to take control of the blaster.
    • Make sure you restarted the TV Server service (TV Server Configuration -> manual control section -> stop service... then start service) after activating the IRSS TVE 3 Blaster plugin. The same would apply if using the ServerBlaster plugin. If you forget to do that, the blaster plugin is not properly enabled and may malfunction in various ways.

Stan1w

Portal Member
    May 31, 2016
    Home Country
    Hi MM,
    Ok lets try this again. I changed the IRSS verbosity level to debug. I used 7 zip to compress the IRSS loge file. I used Media Portal Watchdog to capture the MP Server Configuration files.

I am using an HP media center blaster that has been in use for several years in Media Center. In the IRSS configuration screen I enabled the Microsoft MCE, Custom HID and Windows Messages, all of which were detected by IRSS.

I went to the guide in MP. I can use the remote to page up and down through the channels in the guide. When I press enter, MP displays the last channel selected on the set top box. I am not getting any output to the blaster to change channels on the set top box.

TV 3 Blaster plug in has a STB setup area. I am using a Cisco RNG100 box supplied by Comcast. I could not find this box listed in the quick setup list. If it was listed that may have been the answer to my problem.

I hope this helps.

Wayne

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for the update Wayne. You've done well. (y)

I am using an HP media center blaster that has been in use for several years in Media Center. In the IRSS configuration screen I enabled the Microsoft MCE, Custom HID and Windows Messages, all of which were detected by IRSS.
    The only one you need to enable is the Microsoft MCE one. Please disable all the others (Custom HID, Direct Input and Windows Messages) and restart the IRSS service.

Getting to the problem now...

The IRSS MCE log file shows:
    [collapse]
    2016-07-15 15:58:57.954320 - Device Capabilities:
    2016-07-15 15:58:57.954320 - NumTxPorts: 0
    2016-07-15 15:58:57.954320 - NumRxPorts: 2
    2016-07-15 15:58:57.954320 - LearnPortMask: 2
    2016-07-15 15:58:57.954320 - ReceivePort: 0
    2016-07-15 15:58:57.954320 - LearnPort: 1
    2016-07-15 15:58:57.954320 - DetailsFlags: 0[/collapse]

Note the "NumTxPorts: 0". That means IRSS doesn't think your HP unit ("transceiver") has any transmitters/blasters (!!!). If that were true then it would obviously explain why it isn't working. However we know your transceiver does have blasters because you've used them with WMC. Strange!

I was further concerned when I saw the IRSS main log file. It shows IRSS crashing at about 4 PM:
    [collapse]
    2016-07-15 15:59:02.438716 [Info.][Main Thread]: Stopping IR Server ...
    2016-07-15 15:59:02.438716 [Debug][Main Thread]: SendToAll(ServerShutdown, Notify)
    2016-07-15 15:59:02.454327 [Debug][MicrosoftMceTransceiver.DriverVista.ReadThread]: IoControl: something went bad with StructToPtr or the other way around[/collapse]

I have a theory about what the problem might be. It relates to this piece of advice given in my previous reply:
    Remember that only one program can use the blaster/transceiver at any given time. That means WMC and any other software you have that may be using the blaster must be closed, disabled, or whatever is necessary to enable IRSS or TV Server to take control of the blaster.

From the TV Server log file I can see that you're attempting to connect KODI to MediaPortal's TV Server. My theory is that KODI is attempting to use the remote control receiver. If I'm right, that's going to conflict with IRSS and cause problems.

Could my theory be correct?

Stan1w

Portal Member
    May 31, 2016
    Home Country
    Hi MM,
    Lets try this again. I went into Windows and removed Media Center. I then reinstalled IRSS. Then I tried running MP with the same results, no IR blast to my set top box. I checked the MCE log file. It shows the same as last week, NumTXPorts :0 . I have included the latest log files from MP and from IRSS logs folder.

Wayne

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Wayne, as stated in my previous reply, my theory is that KODI is interfering. Removing WMC and reinstalling IRSS are not going to have any effect on the problem if my theory is correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom