Is an audio only installation possible? (1 Viewer)

Mr. Pastry

Portal Member
April 12, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I know that my video card, a Matrox G550, doesn't meet the requirements for MediaPortal but I only want to use MP to play music files.

Is it possible to set the software up so that it doesn't include any features except those relating to audio file playback? Or, at the very least, is it possible to stop it attempting to initialise DirectX?

Many thanks,
Mr. P.

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Hi there and welcome :)
    You can disable all unwanted plugins in Configuration. Even TV, Video, Pictures, etc.
    But unfortunately directx is even used with the skin rendering.

sbp

Portal Pro
    August 10, 2006
    Auning
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Try Geexbox - it is a tiny software, that even runs from an USB stick - so you can try it before you decide

Mr. Pastry

Portal Member
    April 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Try Geexbox

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm currently using Winamp but keep having problems with it crashing or affecting the windows of other software I have running. I've tried MediaMonkey, which is pretty good, but I don't like the interface as much as that of Winamp's new Bento skin. Someone suggested that MediaPortal might suit my requirements, so I thought I'd give it a go. Unfortunately, I can't even try its UI!

I'll give Geexbox a look.

Regards,
    Mr. P.

dcwp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2006
    Astana
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    If you only need to render the GUI, you could probably upgrade to a DX9 compatible vid card for very cheap. For example, I recently sold my GeForce FX5200 on ebay for a paltry $12.50 USD. It had no trouble at all with MP, the only reason I upgraded was to get HD streaming.

Mr. Pastry

Portal Member
    April 12, 2009
    Home Country
    If you only need to render the GUI, you could probably upgrade to a DX9 compatible vid card...

Thanks for the suggestion but my Matrox card does everythng I bought it for extremely well, so it seems silly to replace it just so that one piece of software can render its UI.

Regards,
    Mr. P.

dcwp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2006
    Astana
    Home Country
    Yep, makes sense. For me MediaPortal is the *only* necessary piece of software, but you have a very different ambition.

david81

Portal Member
    April 6, 2009
    Home Country
    This may seem like sacrilege on the Mediaportal forum, but have you tried XBMC? Mediaportal actually was born out of the original XBMC from what I understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom