Is DVD skin like this possible? (2 Viewers)

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I was looking at the Kaleidescape system and saw their DVD cover selection method provided more DVD covers on screen than any other media system plus (what was needed with this, IMHO) providing the title name and brief overview.

kaleidescapezoommovieguide2vr.jpg

Is is possible with the current skinning system and code base would allow the navigation and more importantly (for this question) show the title+overview in an overlay? The overlay would have to change based on the position - when it gets to close to the left edge it would have to switch to the right side of the coverart selected.

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
    December 7, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Currently no but in the future definately, in the near future... we're working as hard as we can at it.

It wouldn't be terribly difficult to implement at a code level if anyone wanted to try it, display the titles as buttons in a GridLayout and move the text around as the selection changes, but what we're working towards is giving designers the ability to do this at a markup level.

Its easy to see why this question was asked, it does look very nice and I'm sure we'll have our own intepretation of this in due course.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    Thanks for the quick and insightful answer Smirnuff. It will be great to see these new features brought to light as soon at the major problems are resolved and put behind us.

Mike

Khris

Portal Pro
    July 2, 2005
    Edmonton, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Just wanted to add my 2 cents.....

.....I really don't like it :( Given the choice, I wouldn't choose to use it. I don't think it looks very "pleasing" to the eye.

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
    December 7, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Yes, I feel that there is a lot for the eye to take in but as an additional style of view I think this would be a welcome addition for many.

I'm rather boring in that I always use a list view.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    Khris said:
    Just wanted to add my 2 cents.....

.....I really don't like it :( Given the choice, I wouldn't choose to use it. I don't think it looks very "pleasing" to the eye.

But it isn't all about you :D <- Comment is suppose to be funny. Please take it as that.

The most important person that is system needs to satisfy is the wife (in most cases) - the whole reason behind the acronym WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor).

Men like lists, women like pictures. That statement is in generalities which I have found. Then, there is always someone that likes this or doesn't like that style or desing due to their taste. That is all fine and good. The whole reason behind a system that can be modified like MP is to create what works for them... Or what works for our wife so we can continue spending money on our toys.

I'm sure I will get many comments on what I have said. That is also fine, everyone is intitled to their opinion. It seems everyone has one.

Khris

Portal Pro
    July 2, 2005
    Edmonton, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Since there's two guys living in my house, I only have to worry about the Husband Approval Factor! ;)

As I know it's not all about me (even thought sometimes I think it should be LOL), I tried to word my reply in a way that it wouldn't offend anyone who did like the layout. I'm simply stating.....it's not for me! :)

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    Khris said:
    ...I'm simply stating.....it's not for me! :)

But what does your "ranch tooth" have to say about it? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom