Is it possible to mix up certain TV Series with Movies? (1 Viewer)

Dr Forinor

Portal Pro
December 21, 2015
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
The TV Series stuff that my wife and I watch, I would like kept as they should be, separate from all the Movies and organised as such.

My kids stuff, so all their animated movies and their animated series, I would like kept together but I want the Movies to show up as one entry per movie (as you would expect in any normal circumstance for Movies) and I want the Title of the animated series to show up as one entry (until clicked further and then showing the further episodes available). At the moment all of the episodes in the animated series are showing up as separate entities (as you would expect from films).

So right now I have films in between different episodes of different animated episodes.
Is it possible to do what I want?

wizard123

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2012
    Home Country
    Yes of coarse but you need to tell us whether you are using MP1 or MP2 and if MP1 which plugins if any you are using i.e tvseries plugin or moving pictures plugin.

Dr Forinor

Portal Pro
    December 21, 2015
    Home Country
    Sorry. Using MP1.13 with IMDb+, Moving Pictures, MyFilms (which I haven't configured yet) and Trailers. Haven't instlalled TVSeries yet.

wizard123

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2012
    Home Country
    You don't really need Moving Pictures and MyFilms installed but can do if thats what you want ;). My setup does exactly what you after and is as follows:

All movies in a Movies folder
    All TVSeries in a TVseries folder

Moving Pictures configured to use Movies folder and TVSeries configured to use series folder, simple as that everything is kept separate and you can create categories in moving pictures to keep kids animated movies away from standard movies etc.

Dr Forinor

Portal Pro
    December 21, 2015
    Home Country
    It wouldn't let me install IMDb+ without Moving Pictures though?

How can I keep kids animated TV series AND Kids animated movies together, but every other non animated TV series separate? What are the settings?

If I delete Moving Pictures, any issues?

wizard123

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2012
    Home Country
    How can I keep kids animated TV series AND Kids animated movies together, but every other non animated TV series separate?
    I'm not sure you can as most people would not want movies and series mixed together whether they are kids or not.
    It wouldn't let me install IMDb+ without Moving Pictures though?
    What has Imdb+ got to do with anything ?
    If I delete Moving Pictures, any issues?
    Many issues if you are using it yes, Imdb+ is for scraping movie data within a plugin like movingpictures.

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    Agreed - my setup same as Wizard123 - TVSeries & MovingPictures.

Separate storage [individual drives in a small NAS configured as JBOD] for movies and TV stuff.

I'm not sure if you can readily keep TV & Movie stuff together using either TVSeries [which supports the whole concept of episodes within seasons within series] and MovingPictures - top of head, only way to do that would be use Video plugin and shares [so you'd need to name files & directories accordingly, ie "Tom & Jerry/Season 1/01 - Meet Tom & Jerry.mkv" [pure made up example] and NO additional details as there is no database underpinning this.

In TVSeries & MovingPictures you can set Genre of specific TVshows to just 'Animations' and they are all under Animations, and in Movies, create a directory called Animations [or set the Genre for every movie to Animations] and use GUIsettings control in MovingPictures and use "Define Movie Categories".

Cheers - J.

Oh - delete MovingPictures [via MediaPortal Extension manager] - you can if you want, no issues, and IMDB+ is just additional information source, it's not relevant without something using it to scrape data to support other plugin's.

J.

Dr Forinor

Portal Pro
    December 21, 2015
    Home Country
    I'm not sure you can as most people would not want movies and series mixed together whether they are kids or not.
    Sorry that was my main query in my first post, perhaps I didn't explain it well enough. I want my daughter to be able to use it but only have to go one place for all of her animated stuff, whether that be Movies or TV Series. It's a shame this can't be arranged.

What has Imdb+ got to do with anything ?
    Sorry, I've got a million and one things running around my head in regards to MP, I was thinking too far ahead.

Many issues if you are using it yes, Imdb+ is for scraping movie data within a plugin like movingpictures.
    Understood. Thank you for your help.

Agreed - my setup same as Wizard123 - TVSeries & MovingPictures.
    So what differs MovingPictures from MyFilms?

Separate storage [individual drives in a small NAS configured as JBOD] for movies and TV stuff.
    I would love to pick your brains in regards to NAS storage, if you are happy to?

[
    I'm not sure if you can readily keep TV & Movie stuff together using either TVSeries [which supports the whole concept of episodes within seasons within series] and MovingPictures - top of head, only way to do that would be use Video plugin and shares [so you'd need to name files & directories accordingly, ie "Tom & Jerry/Season 1/01 - Meet Tom & Jerry.mkv" [pure made up example] and NO additional details as there is no database underpinning this.
    Ok, I might have to try this method, but I need to get my head around what you are saying first :p

In TVSeries & MovingPictures you can set Genre of specific TVshows to just 'Animations' and they are all under Animations, and in Movies, create a directory called Animations [or set the Genre for every movie to Animations] and use GUIsettings control in MovingPictures and use "Define Movie Categories".
    That was my initial thought, but then using this method each separate episode of Tom & Jerry series will appear as a single movie within MP, which is what I don't want.

Oh - delete MovingPictures [via MediaPortal Extension manager] - you can if you want, no issues, and IMDB+ is just additional information source, it's not relevant without something using it to scrape data to support other plugin's.
    I think I will keep MovingPictures, I do like what it offers.

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    You could have all of your daughters stuff in a separate folder and access it via shares view in 'Videos'. Functional but not as pretty!

Dr Forinor

Portal Pro
    December 21, 2015
    Home Country
    You could have all of your daughters stuff in a separate folder and access it via shares view in 'Videos'. Functional but not as pretty!
    That's what I have right now. And yes, because it wasn't so pretty is why I asked this question.
    Each episode is all over the place based on the title (alphabetical order), so I end up with;

Aladdin
    Bad Mouse (from Tom & Jerry)
    Cars
    Cars 2
    Daffy Duck (from Bugs Bunny)

And so on, not really the ideal way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom