Is it possible to store backdrops in movie folder? (1 Viewer)

e_razor

Portal Member
July 21, 2006
Home Country
Norway Norway
i see that in version 0.6.1

Issue #198: Advanced feature to load backdrops from movie folder caused importer to fail.

Was supposedly fixed, i like the idea of having the backdrop in movie folder, would save a lot of time on rebuilds and very good control of what image beeing used etc. However i cannot find anywhere on the forum what you are supposed to name the backdrop. Only thing i found was in a post it was refered to that you should name the image ttxxxxx.jpg/png/bmp (where the ttxxxxx is the imdb id) and put in the documents and settings\..\thumbs\ etc folder structure. It would be just great if you could name it backdrop.jpg and store in movie folder, is that possible now? if not, what should i name the image for storage in each movie's respective folder?

I allredy have all covers for my movies stored in like x:\movies\xvid\<movie>\folder.jpg
what i would really love is for moving pictures to read that cover and possibly x:\movies\xvid\<movie>\backdrop.jpg for for backdrop.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Very possible. Look at the advanced settings indicated in the attached screenshot. This feature is just turned off by default, but once you turn it on, Moving Pictures will look for backdrop.jpg for backdrops and folder.jpg for covers in the folder the movie was found. These filename patterns are configurable as well.

Attachments

• artwork.png
    artwork.png
    12.4 KB

e_razor

Portal Member
July 21, 2006
Home Country
Norway Norway
Ahh, i see. Just what i was looking for. Thank you fforde. I was looking in the totally wrong place, was looking under the heading called Backdrop (fan art), and totally ignored the other settings. Great work on the plugin, checking every day for new versions! :)

dir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    John,
    Is there any way to tell MP to re-scan the collection for the backdrops/movie posters/covers after changing the configuration? I added all my movies, then noticed that there were a couple of hundred without downloaded covers (because they're old, rare movies, and I've hand-downloaded covers for them a long time ago and placed them in the movie directory). So I changed the config to tell MP to look in the movie's directory for images. But it doesn't go and re-look and I don't want to create my database from scratch again.

Also, can you specify wildcard pattern matching for the name of the image to look for? My movie covers are:

\\share\movies\movie name
    \\share\movies\movie name\Movie Name.avi
    \\share\movies\movie name\Movie Name.jpg
    \\share\movies\movie name\Movie Name_1.jpg
    \\share\movies\movie name\Movie Name_2.jpg
    \\share\movies\movie name\Movie Name_3.jpg

So I'd like to specify something like "%title%_*.jpg" (assuming "%title%" is the right thing to specify the movie's name?)

Thanks,

Dir

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    It does a bulk rescan for artwork in the background on launch. So if you restart MediaPortal it will start pulling artwork from online or local folders for anything that is currently missing artwork. I will try to make this system a bit more obvious in the next release.

As for wildcards you can use any field in the movie_info table. I know this is a bit technical, so for what you are looking for, %title% is the movie title. %filename% is the name of the video file without it's extension. Right now I am not sure that a traditional wild card like * or ? would work. You coudl try though and see, I think it will probably not work though. A work around for now would be to do something like this:

"%title%_1.jpg|%title%_2.jpg|%title%_3.jpg|%title%_4.jpg"

Sorry I know this is one system that really needs to be better documented...

e_razor

Portal Member
    July 21, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hello again fforde. I tried the local provider settings;
    Search movie folder for backdrops: true
    Search movie folder for cover art: true
    Backdrop filename pattern: %imdb_id%.jpg | %imdb_id%.bmp | %imdb_id%.png / tried with backdrop.jpg also
    Cover artwork filename pattern: %imdb_id%.jpg | %imdb_id%.bmp | %imdb_id%.png / tried with folder.jpg also
    Movie folder backdrop filename pattern: backdrop.jpg | backdrop.png | backdrop.bmp
    Movie folder cover art filename pattern: folder.jpg | folder.png | folder.bmp

The locally stored cover art will not show, and i even did a database rebuild, in the configuration dialog for moving pictures the backdrop path is still c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\mediaportal\thumbs\moving pictures and so on.
    I know some of backdrop artwork is 1920x1080 so i set that in the options aswell, thinking that it maybe recjected my local art because it was too high resolution. This did not have any effect either.

Is there any way to force it to read the local artwork? I cannot seem to get it to use the artwork in each folder as it should.

EDIT:
    After some research, it seems even if local artwork is used it will copy the image to thumbs path in c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\team mediaportal\mediaportal\thumbs\moving pictures\backdrops\fullsize. Is this assumption correct? And further, does the maximum width heigth settings have any impact for the local artwork or just for the importer?

I also discovered, deleting the database makes the plugin forget all its settings, wich in turn made it forget me enabling it to scan for local artwork :p

djhopps

Portal Member
    December 15, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there - I too tried this last night but mine works fine. I didn't need to change any of the detault file-pattern-match conditions in the advanced settings tab, just the two conditions to 'true'. All I then did was to copy the backdrop I wanted to use into each of my 'movie folders' with the filename of 'backdrop.jpg' (i have a seperate folder for each movie). Works great.

Before I tried this, I deleted all the backdrop artwork in the default "c:\........\team mediaportal\mediaportal\thumbs\moving pictures\backdrops\fullsize" directory and then ran the plug-in. Moving pictures then picked up every backdrop.jpg in each of my movie folders, and copied it to the above directory with the correct imdb tag. No problems here!

Cheers, Dave

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    Yeah e_razor, based on the settings you posted, I would think your artwork would be loaded. Keep in mind though that a movie can have several covers assigned to it. Meaning if you already downloaded 4 covers for a movie, and then you add another via the method listed above, it WILL pick the cover up. But it will not necessarily reassign the active cover to the new one just downloaded.

dir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Just getting around to trying to get MovingPictures to find all my images.

I have previously looked for dvd covers for all my movies, and keep them in the same directory as the movie is in. (Each movie has it's own directory). However, the dvd cover filename are not "folder.jpg" and not always exactly the same as the movie name, since foreign-language films often get picked up by Moving Pictures with a different name. For example, any of the original Japanese Godzilla movies are identified in Japanese:

Godzilla vs. MegaGodzilla is found by Moving Pictures as "Gojira tai Megagirasu: Jî shômetsu sakusen".

But I can't use that name because I don't know what it says, so I keep the movie filename as Godzilla vs MegaGodzilla.avi, and the images as Godzilla vs Megagodzilla.jpg.

I have dozens of movies like this. Is there any way to tell MovingPictures to simply use whatever jpg files it finds in the movie's directory as the dvd cover?

The "Search Movie Folder for Cover Art" doesn't allow wildcards.

I might need to go through and rename a few hundred images but I'm hoping that I don't have to!

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    Try %filename%.jpg. The variable %filename% will give you the name of the video file without the extension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom