Is it possible to use a universal remote? (1 Viewer)

HereIam

Portal Member
June 26, 2005
Woerden, The Netherlands
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.0.4
Windows Version: Windows XP Prof.
Remote: Philips SRU9600 (http://www.consumer.philips.com/con...ype=CONSUMER&productId=SRU9600_10_NL_CONSUMER)

Hi guys,

I have bought the beautiful Philips SRU9600 remote but I can't get it working with MediaPortal. If I understand it all right, I have to use SerialUIR when using a universal remote. I have my remote set up for a Philips TV and all works fine for my TV. But the problem is, that I can't find the right settings in MediaPortal to control Mediaportal with this remote. I think the remote uses the RC5 commands (because I set up for a philips tv). I downloaded serialwatcher.exe (found in one of the forum threads) and I see some bytes which are received. But I tried several settings (data length, handshaking, parity and so on) but the codes I received doesn't have all the same length :confused: Maybe someone can help set up this remote.

Keren

Portal Member
October 7, 2006
Home Country
Germany Germany
What kind of ir reciever are you using? I tried to set up my remote with a askey ir reciever and tested it under PC remote control (http://www.pcremotecontrol.com/info.html).
It has a simple setup for serial ir recievers and a built in viewer.

The best I got was that 4 diffent Keycodes worked, but on every Key. (e.g. up,play,4,6 where the same Key)

The Problem is that your remote sends commands with 36Khz (Phillips RC5) using 14 Bit per command using repeating commands (the diffent length you've been seeing)

A serial ir reciever picks up the signal using 38,4/57,6.... Kbits a second. Either you cut of parts of the command or get gaps. Because of the repeating signal it will look a little diffent each time.

Personaly I gave up on this and bought a x10 remote for 20€.

HereIam

Portal Member
June 26, 2005
Woerden, The Netherlands
Well I use a IR receiver from my Pinnacle PC TV Pro (which I don't use). It looks like it's a standard IR-receiver module like the simple schematics given on lirc.org. Because I receive commands, it looks like this works fine.

Back to the technical part of this, would it be easier to set up the universal remote for Sony devices so I don't use the RC5 code?

offtopic:
Does anybody know wheter the MCE (Philips) remote uses the 'standard' RC5-codes? In that case it would be possible to set up MediaPortal for a MCE remote isn't it?

HereIam

Portal Member
June 26, 2005
Woerden, The Netherlands
I tried to use WinLIRC and now it works fine :D I tried only Volumeup and Volumedown because winlirc doen't detect all signals from the remote. I don't know what's the problem but I think all works fine in a few days/weeks.

sirdandric

Portal Member
February 23, 2006
I also have this remote (Philips SRU9600) and am thinking about making a HTPC and i'm wondering if i could use this remote for it. Which IR-receiver would i need then? And is it possible to get it working?

HereIam

Portal Member
June 26, 2005
Woerden, The Netherlands
Well, yesterday I bought the Philips MCE remote and that works nice. I tried to learn the SRU9600 all commands but that works for 90%. Don't know what's the problem, maybe diffucult non-standard codes from the MCE remote. I hope I will fix this in a few days but looks like this will be a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom