Is mediaportal going to survive the new xbmc (3 Viewers)

matejdro

Portal Pro
May 28, 2010
Home Country
Slovenia Slovenia
ihaterich I had similar experience. XBMC is much faster and more stable. With exception of point 5. I found MovingPictures and MyTVSeries much better in finding proper movie, althrough I'm not using MyTVSeries much.

But this is why I prefer mediaportal:

1. While you can do all options from inside XBMC, MP offers far more advanced settings and i don't care if they are out of application itself. When I'm managing stuff, i would be on VNC anyway, since most of the time I'm also changing something else than only MP. Example of great settings is easy setup of remote keymap, which you need to edit XML files in XBMC. You have to dig in XML for everything that is more advanced.

2. As also mentioned previously, plugins. Moving Pictures is great movie scraping plugin and I don't think there is an XBMC alternative to that (there is no so much customization, manual search, etc.). Similar applies to Online Videos (you need to find like 30 XBMC plugins to replace Online Videos and then update every one separately when site updates) and many other plugins.

3. TV Support. Last time i checked (very long time ago), XBMC TV support was in very early stage. It was not very good, there were absolutely no documentation (you were lucky if you got this thing working), no dev wanted to answer basic questions about it and it seemed that TV branch was dead for weeks. But after quick check at their forums i see that things are going forward and TV part is probably significantly better. But still, i kinda doubt that they can be better than native MP client.

marv

Portal Member
February 16, 2009
Home Country
Austria Austria
AW: Is mediaportal going to survive the new xbmc

matejdro:

if you need tv support, then mp will be your choice. that's for sure.

mp and xbmc work a bit differently (afaik). in xbmc there's no extra plugin for the movies like "moving pictures". you scrape your movies in xbmc (with a scraper you chose before - it's important to have a good one) to add them to the library. you can do a manual search in xbmc btw. or you can use an extra program (haven't tried any of them, because i don't need it). all other options and customizations possibilities depend which skin you have actually. within the library you can search by genre, year,...have additional infos from the actors, get a link to the trailer and so on. how this will be arranged in xbmc depends totally on your skin.

the plugins (in xbmc called addons) are totally easy to manage. you do once find your video addons (within xbmc through addon manager - they are all tiny python scripts and need 2 sec. to download) and enable auto-update. that's it. you are always up-to-date.
can't be easier than that.

there's actually an addon for mce remotes to configure and map the keys in xbmc directly, but i didn't need that either. i used to edit the xml, which isn't very user-friendly. i agree with you.

svinyard

July 29, 2011
A lot of us have smaller HTPC on a mini-ITX with ION or Fusion. When you get a larger library of 1000+ objects (easy to have) in a library its critical that there is a nice performance cushion. XBMC has this and it only gets better with each release (Eden is damn fast). I think this is where XBMC has a real niche as the leader. When you expand out to a wider range of hardware there are three real contenders. XBMC, MP and MediaBrowser. XBMC without TV integration (coming very soon) is hard to swallow. MediaBrowser is damn nice though in many regards. Also its incredibly easy to setup. They say that XBMC is hard to use lol. MediaBrowser doesn't show me my pictures or allow me to play my music directly. MP can do many of these things, though I don't think it can compare with the interface, simplicity and performance when dealing with movies and TV in mediaBrowser. Never the less, I'm an XBMC users with the latest 350N gigabyte chipset and its amazing. Looking forward to TV (PVR) integration but is not a big deal for me. Just movies, music and pics.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    XBMC without TV integration (coming very soon) is hard to swallow.
    Coming soon? LOL Isn't that what started this thread over a year ago? I still say the title of this thread should be "Will XBMC survive the addition of TV?" Still remains to be seen.

What I find curious is how many XBMC users feel it is necessary to 'promote' XBMC in our MP forums :confused: I doubt you will ever see MP users doing that in XBMC forums! I guess we don't feel the need to.

It reminds me of my friends who use Apple/Mac and still love to tell me how much better Mac is than a Windows PC and how it never crashes, while they are calling me asking for help with their MAC LOL. I have never been able to comprehend emotional attachment to a piece of hardware or software.

The idea that there is one app that is best for everyone is imho just stupid. Everyone has different preferences or needs, and prefers to organize their media files in a different way. So I hope that MP and XBMC both continue to not only survive, but improve, and flourish, because I believe in choice and options. I hate it when companies try to take over a 'market' and remove the user's choice. I sincerely hope that open source software never follows that model.

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Coming soon? LOL Isn't that what started this thread over a year ago? I still say the title of this thread should be "Will XBMC survive the addition of TV?" Still remains to be seen.

Also they aren't adding tv support to xbmc, they're adding mediaportal tv server. So it's a bit strange to ask if MediaPortal can survice xbmc using parts of MediaPortal... ^^

z3us

Portal Pro
    December 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I have tested XBMC for some months, but returned to MP last month.
    MP + MyFilms + TvSeries is the PERFECT HTPC you could have

Enviado desde mi GT-I9000 usando Tapatalk

costi

Portal Member
    July 14, 2010
    Home Country
    Poland Poland

Also they aren't adding tv support to xbmc, they're adding mediaportal tv server. So it's a bit strange to ask if MediaPortal can survice xbmc using parts of MediaPortal... ^^

You misread something... Mediaportal TV Server is not added to XBMC. In fact, XBMC will never have an integrated TV server, but instead will have frontends for the most popular TV servers out there, Mediaportal included. So you can have an MP TV Server, you can have MythTV, tvheadend and whatever else there is (currently there are 5 or 6 servers supported).

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    You misread something... Mediaportal TV Server is not added to XBMC. In fact, XBMC will never have an integrated TV server, but instead will have frontends for the most popular TV servers out there, Mediaportal included. So you can have an MP TV Server, you can have MythTV, tvheadend and whatever else there is (currently there are 5 or 6 servers supported).

We know exactly how they are developing this, dushmaniac xbmc developer is pretty much working on his own for all OS's, and the guy's Red_F and margro are trying to develop a client interface using ForTheRecord\Argus, neither are anywhere near completion.

I always find it sad when people compare MP's abilities against xbmc, as they are designed for 2 different markets, first is totally configurable, second to take any thought out of setting up and be a easy to use as possible, and nothing wrong with that.

Yes we do have more than our fair share of guy's who like tinkering under the bonnet, that's part of a very active community which we are proud of.

Regards

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

That's what I was saying, they are not developing their own tv code but connect to other tv engines. And (for windows) there is no other free and open source tvengine then mediaportal tv server as far as I know.

So that's something to keep in mind when saying that xmbc is so superior in this or that. The MediaPortal team has to develop the frontend as well as the backend. And without MediaPortal there would be no (guaranteed to be free) tv solution for xmbc (for windows ;)). That's what I found funny about the thread title.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom