Is mediaportal going to survive the new xbmc (2 Viewers)

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Is mediaportal going to survive the new xbmc

Indeed CrashUK!
    I was so suprised how awsome the TV Section of MediaPortal works! Got my TV Card (TerraTec Cinergy HTC USB XS HD) last week and configured all. The wiki is really helpful here and I had no problems.
    It's even better than my internal TV Tuner. No stuttering and framedrops at all! And I really like the MiniEPG and the OSD and also the awsome timeshift and recording features.
    Great work by this team!

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    As for me if extension installer in mp gui will be default way to install plugins and devs will add ability to import files in MovingPictures and MP-TVSeries in gui (maybe by addind new dialog GUIDialogFolder) XBMC will have no advantages in tvseries, movies too.

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Well, I am not going into discussions about what is better .. MP/XBMC/MP!/XBMC!!!
    One argument which has been stated here and there, is that MP is too sluggish with large DB's. This might be true if you compare to other systems.
    My experience is in the past with MP was indeed that scrolling through my movie collection could be slow. A little annoying it was in the beginning. But since MP1.2b this has been improved greatly. Also IMO the skin used has an influence on this performance.
    At this moment XBMC might indeed still be faster with this stuff, but I am not bothered with this fact. MP is fast enough for me. I am not annoyed with it what so ever.... For my family fast is good enough.
    So my point is, if MP or XBMC forfills your needs and it is good enough for you and you feel happy with it, this is the most important thing. :)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    So my point is, if MP or XBMC forfills your needs and it is good enough for you and you feel happy with it, this is the most important thing.
    Well said - couldn't agree more! :)

punking

Portal Member
    June 21, 2010
    New York
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I think both will be around. Some will like XBMC, and others will prefer MP. I've been using XBMC as my default media center for... wow.. maybe 9 - 10 years. Back then it was just a media player and only on a modded original xbox (which still works). I've been using MP for only two days, although I used to read the forum just to see what was happening with it.

Why did I change?

The resolution changer is a big deal. Switching between xvid, mkv, Brit TV and USTV. On XBMC you have to switch it manually and it's easy to forget. This leaves you (or worse, the wife) staring at a black screen with audio, until you change it. With MP's auto changer this isn't a problem.

Recently MKV playback has been a little patchy on XBMC. Dropping frames and pixalation. It could be a driver problem rather than XBMC, but with MP I can try different codecs to find one that works. I'm currently using CoreAVC and its smooth with a good picture.

As I learn more about MP and get used to the way it does things differently I'm starting to really like it. SO maybe I'll be using MP as my default for the next ten and occasionally dropping into XBMC to see what's new.

One isn't better than the other, they're different. But both deserve to be supported.

Shangostar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 27, 2009
    Somerset
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have also been using MP for years but recently decided to give XBMC a go to see what it was like, for me, both MP and XBMC have some great features the other is lacking as a lot of people have said but what I've not seen in this thread is any mention of the communities and forums, as an MP user I read these forums a lot and whilst setting up my XBMC i've needed to read a lot of the XBMC forums and the MP community is far superior, there is a lot of arrogance on XBMC forums especially from the Devs towards noobies asking for help.

From what I've seen MP community is much more friendly and helpful.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    ...as an MP user I read these forums a lot and whilst setting up my XBMC i've needed to read a lot of the XBMC forums and the MP community is far superior, there is a lot of arrogance on XBMC forums especially from the Devs towards noobies asking for help.

...sometimes I can be pretty grumpy towards users - I guess you haven't read the right threads :p

DJBlu

Portal Pro
    August 14, 2007
    Llanelli
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    ...as an MP user I read these forums a lot and whilst setting up my XBMC i've needed to read a lot of the XBMC forums and the MP community is far superior, there is a lot of arrogance on XBMC forums especially from the Devs towards noobies asking for help.

...sometimes I can be pretty grumpy towards users - I guess you haven't read the right threads :p

Made me giggle!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom