Is mediaportal going to survive the new xbmc (2 Viewers)

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I can understand this. Good luck and have fun with XBMC. :)

powermarcel10

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2010
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    XBMC is a really great piece of software.. Specially for (what we call in Dutch) "house, garden and kitchen" users.. I mean users without a lot of interest in configure things or don't know how to do..

I think that XBMC has a lot better "out of the box experience" but what you have is what you get and it is not that highly costomizible as Mediaportal is..

About the out of the box experience of MP; I think that this could be a lot better.. It would be nice if the (new) user can make a kind of default installation and after doing that; Mediaportal should be complete installed.. So give the users the option to choose skins and plugins in the installation, let the user select folders, and let codecs be configured fine out of the box. If a new user installs MP it looks a bit boring in my opinion with the default skin and the missing good plugins like moving pictures tv series and online videos.. also a nice skin like streamedmp or avalon should be the new default skin of mp.. I really can't believe that there are a lot of people who finds the default skin nicer than the ones I said.. So why putting so much work in it? skins like avalon(nis) and the upcoming titan skin are looking a way better.. but ofcourse thats personally..

It is the first impression a user get and I think that this impression could be a lot better out of the box..

It can be scared of new users because they have to do so many things to create a complete program.. This is XBMC doing much better I think..

Maybe you think; why are you nog using XBMC? well that's simple.. Mediaportal is for me sooooo much better! if you invest some energy and time in it's plugins, skins and other configure possibilitys, it has so many things to offer.. You can change so many things the way you want it.. XBMC is very limited in a lot of things..

Conclusion; If you want a "simple", stable and fast program that is nice and working great out of the box, and you are limited in time to gef the best out of your HTPC; choose xbmc!

In all other cases; MEDIAPORTAL!! (also for (better) tv support..)

Last edited:

sebbl

Portal Member
    March 12, 2008
    Conclusion; If you want a "simple", stable and fast program that is nice and working great out of the box, and you are limited in time to gef the best out of your HTPC; choose xbmc!
    sounds a bit like the iOS vs. Android discussions with xbmc being iOS and MP as android :cool:

powermarcel10

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2010
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    sounds a bit like the iOS vs. Android discussions with xbmc being iOS and MP as android :cool:

That's completely thrue! While posting the text above I was thinking exactly the same! :p

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Regarding stability: The last "stable" release on Windows of XBMC is just a pain in the ass. I never had that much problems with XBMC before.

Schicksal

Portal Pro
    February 7, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The Problem is that iOS is working fine, smooth and looks pretty good.
    The video quality of XBMC looks horrorble. HD might be good but SD is soooooooo mad.
    I've installed it, watch 5 min of Deep Space 9 and uninstalled it. Plex is much better.
    All I tried because of OSX. There is no MePo for OSX :(
    The HTPC is the only Windows machine in my house.

1stdead

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2008
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Regarding stability: The last "stable" release on Windows of XBMC is just a pain in the ass. I never had that much problems with XBMC before.

Yeah, you're right. But a reinstall seemed to have sorted that out for me.[DOUBLEPOST=1342679805][/DOUBLEPOST]
    What do you mean with "more stable than MP"?

MP really never crashes to Desktop in my setup(s). Maybe I have just installed the right plugins. ;)

I did have a lot of plugins. But wasn't those that crashed. I cannot really say much more as I concluded with Sebastii that it was some sort of windows/MP problem. Logs didn't say much. I just couldn't find the time searching for a solution.
    Also i kept loosing keybindings in MP making MP act like crazy with my remote. I havn't seen that on XBMC.

I forgot to add that XBMC play rar/zip flawless.

I do like MP, but that being said i think MP2 is looking great and going in the right direction! Will probably change when i'm tired of XBMCs limits :D (Ikept the old MP installation)

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    MP can be made to play .rar / .zip files by using installing a specific directshow filter. If you want to do this then google it and you should be able to figure it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom