Is mediaportal going to survive the new xbmc (1 Viewer)

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Don't get me wrong, I think it's absolutely great and necessary to compare MediaPortal to other media centers so we can learn from each others...

However what I don't like is when it becomes negative towards MP (XBMC is sooooo much better than MP) or when people use it as a threat (If you don't get this or that working I'm gonna switch to XBMC y'all).

Vimes

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2009
    Earth, for now
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    you will always get a "fringe" element in any forum whose demands and comments are beyond being simply unreasonable or inappropriate. Sadly that is inevitable.

It can be difficult to separate enthusiasm shown for another media application without drawing comparisons to MP, as we are within the MP forum and I was using MP before I tried XBMC.

After finding no solution for this issue...

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...me-lots-of-frames-dropped.106244/#post-852260

... I felt that I had little choice but to look for an alternative.

As I have noted I was astounded at how easy it was to configure XBMC. To install it as a complete package and get up and going within minutes with no need to bother with any codecs and be able to make all the settings by using my remote from within the GUI was fabulous. It found and categorised all my movies and TV shows without issues, no plugins needed. It seems a very light and well packaged media application, it starts up within 2 seconds.
    My Son was able to download the XMCBuntu edition and thus have a fully working media application without needing to buy an operating system.
    It is difficult not to enthuse about the virtues of XBMC. The next edition "Frodo" will have a built in TV function.

MP is a great media application and it can only get better in time, although I'm not sure that having MP 2 only support Windows 7 (AFAIK) is a good thing.

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I often try XBMC as testing stuff is fun, but as I have a family that depends on the HTPC to not have too drastic changes etc, "jumping over" is hard, in my case for the following reasons:

The TV Series plugin for MediaPortal is unrivaled. I watch A LOT of shows, and very few of these are picked up in XBMC, probably due to my lack of folder structure, in MePo, everything is perfect with very little interaction from me.

Same goes for movies, but XBMC works OK here, but scraping takes way too long (as I don't have scene releases with .nfo files.

My MCE remote gives me everything I can think of in MePo, in XBMC I can't remap buttons and only basic navigation and playback works. No context menu support, no zoom button support etc. MePo really shines here IMHO. With every new XBMC release I cross my fingers and hope that my remote has more functions than UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, OK, BACK, PLAY, STOP, PAUSE, SKIP, VOLUME, but I'm always disappointed. Fully functioning remote (like a consumer DVD/BluRay player) is a dealbreaker for me.

I will keep trying it out though as it's really great otherwise.
    Emph

marv

Portal Member
    February 16, 2009
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    for xbmc i just have a seperate folder for every tv series, the filenames must contain the season and episode number, thats all. cant be easier than that, maybe you have a bad scraper or a wrong setting (same for movies).

you can modify keymap.xml to remap the buttons. search the wiki for futher information.

Vimes

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2009
    Earth, for now
    Home Country
    Once MP Tray and other good stuff was built into MP using a MCE remote = bliss, in my experience.

Using a basic functional MCE remote in XBMC is functional and fine. To get the equivalent fully functional remote you can do the edit thing as noted above or download a MCE plugin from the repository. There is also an automated setup app here...

http://xbmccustomregis.sourceforge.net/remote_auto.html

Just to add that the automated one, when following the instructions, worked well for me.

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    for xbmc i just have a seperate folder for every tv series, the filenames must contain the season and episode number, thats all. cant be easier than that, maybe you have a bad scraper or a wrong setting (same for movies).

you can modify keymap.xml to remap the buttons. search the wiki for futher information.
    What I don't like about it is that there is no easy way (at least that was my experience) to manually check if the scraper loaded the correct movie/series info and to correct errors (which will happen).

I prefer setting it up in a desktop UI, others like to do it from withing the program.

Vimes

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2009
    Earth, for now
    Home Country
    Thinking back there were two TV series for me in XBMC that it has found incorrectly. I can't remember what they were now. But from the list of TV series it is very easy to get the scraper to rescan the highlighted, and wrongly found, series and then it does a rescan and gives you options then from a list to choose from.
    I had to do a lot of work until I figured out the appropriate episode names, for specials and the like, with the TV Series plugin within MP and once done that would pick them up correctly. I assume by the time I used XBMC the file naming aspect of my TV shows was pretty good already.
    You can even correctly identify it when a double episode is within one file, which can be useful.

CustomHT

Portal Member
    March 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    XBMC have more skins to choose from, and some of them is really good looking!! But i think mediaportal is better in handling videos and extensions...
    XBMC = Nice Front end.
    Mediaportal = Nice Back end.

Atleast in my opinion ;)

1stdead

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2008
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hmm imo XBMC has only standard skins. All skins look the same and almost have den same layout etc and they are simple. But if you keep things simple they work 100%. That's the main difference between Mediaportal and XBMC in my opinion. And XBMC backend is very poor endeed.

But XBMC's support for sources are amazingly simple! I like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom