Is mediaportal going to survive the new xbmc (1 Viewer)

marv

Portal Member
February 16, 2009
Home Country
Austria Austria
------------------------------
the_ult:

XBMC
pros:
- Skins (love the Alaska Skin)
- Almost everything plays out of the box (no codec trouble)
- HT- Experience plugin :)
- Being able to view the trailer that you downloaded with the movie. (If you're in doubt whether you're gonna like the movie or not)

cons:
- Less updates
- Harder to find Skin updates/changes
- harder to find the correct plugins
- Configuration only inside XBMC
- Not able to change a serie/movie when the wrong one is found
--------------------------------

the_ult, about your cons i have to say, that most of it are not really true.
- for updates u can use the nightly builds, which is highly recommended. the installation with the exe-installer is the simplest. (-> http://sshcs.com/xbmc/ )
- skin updates can be done through a script directy inside xbmc.
- don't know what u mean by "correct" plugins. but in the upcoming release there will be an addon-manager, which makes installing and updating plugins totally easy. it even can handle plugins which are written in any coding language - i am curious about that one.
- configuration inside xbmc is for me an advantage, which means i can do everything in front my tv with the remote.
- you can change wrong scraped movies/series. open the context menu (press "c") and remove the wrong item. then go to file mode and press info - you see all possible results and can choose manually. or you can change the scraper and try again.

next official release should be in few weeks.

just my 2cents.

regards
marv

luksmann

Portal Pro
November 10, 2005
Home Country
Austria Austria
for me it's all about the tv-party - a combination of xbmc + MP tv-server would be perfect!

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Isn't that the one that's suggested in the MP+Linux thread? According to that thread it's far from ready for production services.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    My question is, will XBMC survive adding TV? I had to laugh watching them trying to keep up with all our RC releases!

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    xbmc is too simple in many ways, along rhe same lines as MCE, mainly our users want that little bit more, configurable wise, so it suits them, rather than the designers.

Think we both will be around for many years to come, as both aimed at different end users, tweakers will never die out ;)

marv

Portal Member
    February 16, 2009
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    tv support is certainly not comparable with mediaportal. it's not the main goal and maybe never will.
    xbmc is surely aimed at people who want a stable, slick, easy and user-friendly mediacenter without tv support.

2 years ago i began using mediaportal as my first mediacenter. had to fiddle around a lot, it crashed sometimes and seemed rather fragile. a lot of stuff didn't work correctly.
    i tried xbmc months later and was surprised how "clean" and tweaked it felt.

mediaportal 1.x has improved a lot since then, but i think it really starts getting an overwhelming mediacenter with version 2.

poppabk

Portal Pro
    August 8, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    XBMC seems like it is definitely designed for a different type of user than me. PVR functionality is the core of what I use MP for, so XBMC has never really been an option. I feel like XBMC is designed for people who mainly get their content through torrents etc, not people who are recording live TV and/or ripping disks. Adding a live tv workaround is not going to change that. The 'plays any file out of the box' is a little irrelevant if your content is either DVD isos, or recorded tv as they already work fine. Just as using MP in the US I can sometimes feel like the main focus is elsewhere, with XBMC, especially on windows, the feeling is that the functionality I require is not a priority. For people who have a lot of 'scene' material and no need for PVR functionality, I am sure that XBMC is a great choice.

CrashUK

Portal Pro
    July 24, 2008
    big thing missing from xbmc is refrash changer.. they is a tv plug for it that works with mediaportal tv server.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom