Is mediaportal going to survive the new xbmc (2 Viewers)

hoborg

Portal Pro
June 13, 2008
Nový Jičín
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
Guys, if you want to try something between MePo and XBMC you can try GB-PVR.

It have simple GUI, but it is fast and stable PVR/media player. If you have SAF installed then you are ready to go. It will play all media that Graphstudio can play. There is no need to install SQL server, easy to setup. It lack advanced features like refresh rate changer, media library, etc...

Simply if you prefer speed and simplicity, GB-PVR is great choice (i am using it ~1 year and i didnt miss one recording).

Airshark

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2007
    Baden- Württemberg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Is mediaportal going to survive the new xbmc

Well I very like MediaPortal. Just donated some money. It is such a nice software. At the moment it runs really stable and fast! TV works now like a charm :)
    I tried XBMC a year ago, it is also a very nice software. But... with no TV, so it is not a "real" MediaCenter for me and I want to watch soccer and those things too on my MediaCenter.

What I like is the community. Everyone is very friendly and wants to help if you provide the informations they need. Thats a very nice and helpful community.

And there are so many Developers. hoborg did so nice CodecPacks, especially4MP. They run very smooth and stable. A very big advantage for users who dont have any experience with codecs. I have, but I also use hoborgs codecs because they run stable and very smooth. You cant make it any better if u install the codecs manually.

And take a look at StreamedMP and MovingPictures and TVSeries and so on. They are all part of this great community and they release so many patches and they are just working great! THX :)

I like MP, and I already got 2 friends who they are also running MP now. Better then any other MediaCenter.

But what I cant understand. Why develope MediaPortal 2? Why dont develope MP1 further on? Is there a site with informations and how is the activity?

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    But what I cant understand. Why develope MediaPortal 2? Why dont develope MP1 further on? Is there a site with informations and how is the activity?
    MP1 has many problems by design.

Sometimes rewriting software is easier than fixing bad software design.

And with the know how based on the development of MP1, MP2 will have a better and more modern design...

PS:
    Chance "Project:" to MediaPortal 2 to see updates
    Roadmap - MediaPortal Bugtracker

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

MP1 will be developed more by users than Team-Mediaportal after 1.1.2, I'm certain it will keep providing ideas\improvements until MP2 is ready to take over in 1 or 2 years time.

matejdro

Portal Pro
    May 28, 2010
    Home Country
    Slovenia Slovenia
    It's funny how XBMC have tons of video plugins for online videos, but in MP there is just one plugin that rules them all :)

I'm deciding between XBMC and mediaportal for my HTPC and i think i will use MP because i need PVR. Main disadvantages of MP that i see are slower interface and less remote-friendly configuration/maintance. For example i can't fully update Moving Pictures database without plugging in mouse or using Synergy from another PC.

Later, i will decide again for XBMC Eden (with PVR front end and all that stuff) vs MP2. But MP2 is probably going to win again for it's PiP support :D

Wrassle

October 1, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I have spent about 15 months trying to figure out a method in streaming Live TV throughout my home over the network (new home, and the builders only put in one cable outlet, in the kitchen, but ran 2 drops of Cat6 to every room (including the bathrooms!!)

Tried XMBC, tried Orb, tried MCE with a plugin, and they just didn't work.. MP works, it does it fast and the quality is amazing.
    :D

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    MP in the bathroom? Sounds like a good title for my next blog! lol Thanks Wrassle, do you mind if I quote you?

benogil

Portal Member
    January 10, 2010
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    The feedback on the AVS forum is that xbmc live makes a great device ( if you use a revo ), I much prefer a htpc due to it's ease of configuration. Fixing or configuring MP is ten times easier.

HudsonHawk04

Portal Pro
    August 26, 2010
    Jayhawk Nation
    I have been using XBMC for about six years and just recently began dabbling with media portal mainly due to the fact that on the present track XBMC will finally have a unified dvr front end. If the current trend holds, they issue a final release about once per year. The DVR was supposed to be in the dharma branch this time around but instead devs went with cleaning up addons and such. I am hopeful that once I can get media portal working for me as a DVR and emulator platform that I can hold tight and hope that the unified front end includes media portal support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom