Is SAF or another codec pack still needed with MP 1.3? (2 Viewers)

powermarcel10

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2010
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    H guys,

I was wondering if with the installation of MP 1.3A a codecpack is still needed because the LAV codecs are included with it..

Should MP play by default now all movies? Including Onlinevideos? Or do I need to install other things as well..

Best regards,

Marcel

gijoe73

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    On my HTPC only LAV is installed and everything works fine here. So for me there is no need for an additional Codec

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    There shouldn't be any other codecs needed. LAVF can play (almost) everything. (thats also the reason why we added it to the MP installer ;) - better out-of-the-box experience)

Last edited:

powermarcel10

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2010
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Allright thanks!

Well actually, I'm using only the LAV video and audio decoders for a long time because they are working very good on my system for (HD)TV and (HD) movies.. I only doesn't know if there where any differents between the build-in LAV codecs from MP 1.3. and the stand alone LAV codecs from SAF..

But when there are no differents, I will remove SAF, and do a clean installation of MP 1.3. (only waiting for a compatible version of Subcentral) Are the LAV codecs playing also all movies from Onlinevideos? (mp4 and webm?)

In that case I like to say: Very nice that these codecs are now included because they are very good, fast and stable! :)

Frank-NL

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 23, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    LAV plays everything you throw at it, at least in my experience. Great filters, no need for any codec pack at all. I also use LAV video for Live TV, great image quality.

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Ugh, guys, LAVF is a codec pack, even MePo can be caled that name, becouse it will register more then one filter in to system...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom