Is there a commercial offering that even matches MP? (1 Viewer)

stryker

Portal Pro
November 20, 2006
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

The thought occured to me, if I was up for paying for media centre software, is there anything out there in the commercial world that even matches MP? IE usual media services, but importantly support for a remote server for move/music/pic storage and TV service as with tvserver engine3?

Just wondering because a quick google search found nothing..... not even the mighty M$oft media centre seems to do a remote tv server service.

Ynot

Portal Member
August 15, 2006
Home Country
There's lots of integrated systems that provide a multimedia system
(I'm a building surveyor / architect by trade, so have had a few dealings with them)

but they're not designed to be run on general purpose computer hardware

Bagal

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 15, 2006
    Home Country
    SageTV has a great TV streaming server, but it's let down by its general media center capabilities, I didn't particularly like its UI and I failed to get it working with my DVB-T card, admittedly I haven't used it for more than a year, so things may have improved but then ever since finding MP I haven't looked back! :D

BeyondTV also has a good TV streaming server, simple to setup and use but crazily their media center app is separate to the TV app and as such when you want to watch TV the media center app launches the TV app, which IMO is bizarre and provides a really bad user experience, again though I have to admit to not having used it for well over a year. Almost forgot, last time I checked they didn't support DVB-T and had no intentions to.

Let's face it, MP rocks!:D

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    The thought occured to me, if I was up for paying for media centre software, is there anything out there in the commercial world that even matches MP?
    Once there was Meedio, which has been sold to yahoo, now its gone.

Then there was TVCentral from Sceneo which used the Meedio core. Since Yahoo bought Meedio, Sceneo is no longer allowed to sell TVCentral with its Meedio core. So that HTPC solution is virtualy gone too until they finish their own core.

Seems like MediaPortal has allready survived a few other MediaCenters ;)

There are "MediaCenters" from Hauppauge, Cyberlink ect. but these are realy low-end.
    Seems like the only "real" challenger atm is Windows MCE, which has still no dvb-c and only a hacked dvb-s support.

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    btw: does MCE have dynamic playlist building and last.fm support? :D

scythelt

Portal Pro
    December 19, 2006
    Home Country
    MCE doesn't support tv-server style setup AFAIK.

That's a big plus for MP in my mind.

Finally MCE doesn't have the brilliant mp-tvseries plugin that MP has. TVSeries is what really sells MP for me - I use it a lot and it's makes the user experience very enjoyable.

stryker

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2006
    Home Country
    I don't know why so many media center packages seem to be designed to work as a single unit. Makes no sense as your typical sleek shiney media center case does not have the room for loads of cards and hard disks. Thats the biggest advantage of MP as I see it.

zag2me

Portal Pro
    April 11, 2006
    Home Country
    England England
    Meedio is not gone, they released the last version with no copy protection and people are building on it over at www.meedios.com :)

It is a worthy rival to media-portal, and betters it in many areas (database, plugins, menu structures, touch screen ect). Of course media portal has a better tv part and better international support. It would be great if the media portal developers tested it out and copied many of its great features.

Also Xbox media center has just announced they are porting the software to linux and windows OS's. This could be absolutely huge if it succeeds. You might even get that Auto RAR archive support you guys have always wanted :p

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Meedio is not gone, they released the last version with no copy protection and people are building on it over at www.meedios.com :)
    the final months of meedio were realy sad and frustarting for the community. i personaly expected that yahoo would use the technology they bought there..... but it seems that they put that project on ice.

since that time, meedio as we knew it is no more.
    this also had an major impact to other applications which used their core, because yahoo doesnt even sell Meedio core licences to anyone. :confused:

But the future maybe doesnt look that sad? ;)

Also Xbox media center has just announced they are porting the software to linux and windows OS's.
    Correct and i am realy looking forward to it. (still have latest on my XBOX) :)
    but when you start something like that you can expect that it takes at least one year until it becomes "useable" (or longer, depends on the amount of ppl working on it).

just look at the long way MediaPortal had to go to become what it is today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom