Is there an open-source/freeware DVD navigator that can be used with MP? (1 Viewer)

mklement

Portal Member
March 31, 2010
United States of America United States of America
I would be happy to use MP's internal DVD player, but I am bothered by the fact that by default the DVD navigation forces me to watch previews and warning screens (the way, for instance, a normal, standalone DVD player or Windows Media Center do, i.e. they enforce the so-called UOPs (user-operation prohibitions)).

By contrast, VLC, for instance, can skip those previews/warning screens and go straight to the DVD's root menu.

Is there a way to have this ability in MP while still using the internal player, i.e. is there an open-source/freeware DVD navigator that can be selected in MP's configuration that has this ability too?
What format does it have to be in; a DirectShow filter?

Thanks for listening.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The only other DVDNavigator that worked with MP was PowerDVD8, so if you know anyone who may have a copy laying around.

mklement

Portal Member
    March 31, 2010
    Thanks.
    Is the PowerDVD8 DVD navigator capable of skipping past previews and warnings? Do you know if the one that comes with PowerDVD9 works as well?

mklement

Portal Member
    March 31, 2010
    To partially answer my own question, should anyone stumble across this:

Another way of approaching this is at the source-material level, by using a DVD driver, such as the (commercial) AnyDVD made by SlySoft, which is capable of bypassing UOPs and jumping straight to the DVD's main menu or even the movie itself (based on configurable settings).

In the long run, however, it would be nice if MP were capable of doing that itself, given that other open-source apps such as VLC can do it.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    In the long run, however, it would be nice if MP were capable of doing that itself, given that other open-source apps such as VLC can do it.
    Writing a DVD navigator diretcshow filter is not a small task, currently there aren't any plans to implement such.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

OP Similar threads Forum Replies Date
    S Why open source fails and Integration wins for complex programs General 15
    J [solved] Newbie to MediaPortal 2 - Cannot open/run TV programs Newcomers Forum 4
    lisag Can I get MP1 to open in the Recorded TV screen? MediaPortal 1 Talk 2
    Terra Crash when opening ACTORS list My TVSeries 3
    T [further infos missing] MP2.2 client crashes on open (after upgrade) 2.2 Archive 34
    C video wont open, screen goes black and reverts to video menu General Support 3
    T How to open MP on the extended desktop? Input / Output interfaces 8
    G MP2 - V2.1 Won't open after installing Older releases 8
    J MP2 - V2.1 Opening settings on client! Older releases 2
    T Error when opening Media Portal 2 TV configurator General 6
    M System.NullReferenceException Error when opening or closing Mediaportal configuration General Support 7
    ajs [Proposal] WebMP source code MPExtended 12
    ajs [Proposal] MPExtended Source code... MPExtended 3
    morpheus_xx [Help Me!] Where can I find source code for MPUrlSourceSplitter? Developer Discussions 3
    A MP2.2.2, understanding movies/videos/tv and WTV recordings. General 16
    J MediaPortal TV Server and Kodi media source issues General 9
    Ralph Holmes Wrong audio source in TV General 1
    johns11 Looking for 1.21 source code MediaPortal 1 Talk 2
    doskabouter [Proposal] Merge PR Fix for source directory with spaces MediaPortal 1 15
    B Iptv source - discontinuities on specific hardware/os General Support 18
    uxDesign [Question] Where are the latest sources of mpextended? MPExtended 3
    B Iptv source - discontinuities on specific hardware/os Television (MyTV frontend and TV-Server) 0
    T Media source share drill down not working General 2
    S [solved] HOW TO INSTALL Media Portal Url Source Splitter Plugin Development 3
    B Separate Media and TV servers General 5