Is This A Single-Seat? (1 Viewer)

jbdecker

February 22, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I was currently using BTV till our local cable company went to digital cable. My setup was the server in the basement and we watched TV upstairs using BTV Link. Reading the MP site is looks as if I can do the same with a server-client setup. I purchased a Homerun Prime a few days ago. Here is my question, having a computer in the basement running MP and streaming via CAT5 upstairs, is this a single seat? No TV watching will be done in the basement. If not and it is a mutiple-seat and do I still need a static IP for each.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Jbdecker,

In answer to your question No. Just by way of an overview, MP consists of two components:-

1. TV Server
    2. MP Client

These can be installed in a variety of different ways. If you have only one PC and install both the TV Server and MP Client, then this is the 'single seat' setup. You can then run a number of clients off this should you want to. (This is what I do). Alternatively, you can install the TV Server on its own PC and then access this with a number of clients, and in this situation you would only install each element on the relevant PC - (this is what you would do).

When setting up MP to act as a server/client you can specify an IP address to be used for streaming, this is under the TV Server config settings. When you set up your clients, you have to input your streaming IP address into the MP TV Config settings so it knows where to look for the video stream.

jbdecker

February 22, 2012
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks. Wow, with a response like that you should be paid. To clarify, I can install MP server on the PC in the basement with Homerun Prime and install MP client on the computer upstairs to view record shows? Also, I forgot ask, will MP handle US digital cable as far as encrypted signals go? I did get M Cards for the HR Prime. Is a static IP address required since it will be within the same netowrk?

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi,

To clarify, I can install MP server on the PC in the basement with Homerun Prime and install MP client on the computer upstairs to view record shows?

Yes. There are quite a few others who do this. I am looking to do this to in the near future.

Is a static IP address required since it will be within the same netowrk?

I have a static IP on my main HTPC in my lounge, but this is only so the router I use doesn't try to change it. I have been running MP for over two years now and only assigned a static IP last month. I would try it without a static IP first and just set the streaming IP in the TV Server config to something that your router/switch won't interfere with. My router seems to assign dynamic IP's between 192.198.1.101 and 192.168.1.110, so I have assigned the MP streaming server an IP of 192.168.1.130 so my router has plenty to go at before it reaches that address.

will MP handle US digital cable as far as encrypted signals go? I did get M Cards for the HR Prime.

MP should handle US cable - there are a few US users on the forum. I'm sorry I can't be more specific as I'm in UK and use Sat and Terrestrial. I would use the forum search facility and search for 'Homerun', it should throw up quite a bit of stuff.

mayrog

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 25, 2008
    New South Wales
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi porky996t,

I came across this thread when I was searching for info on what a "single seat" configuration was. After reading your replies it is now perfectly clear.

Just a question - how does the client co-located in the server machine connect? Does the data stream have to go via the external router or is it possible to set up an internal connection to bypass that?

Thanks

druid9

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 31, 2006
    As far as I know and remember, if the server and client are on the same machine, no router is necessary (To use your words an "internal connection"). Don't be shy, give it a try!

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    H Mayrog,

As Druid says (above), no router is needed for a single seat set up. You still set up the IP address for the TV server, and then do the same in the MP client TV config section and that is it. Both the TV Server and Client setup's are seperate and work independently of each other. Once the TV Server is setup, it just runs merrily away in the background.

mayrog

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 25, 2008
    New South Wales
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks Porky,

I did have an XP machine running MP about 5 yrs ago and I vaguely remember some other users with a separate server/client setup complaining in this forum that their wifi bandwidth was getting loaded up with traffic between the server and local client. As I recall some fix did have to be installed in XP to get around this. I currently have several W7 machines using WMC but am looking at migrating back to MP and setting up a server/client network. I'll initially try to get away with a wholly wifi net -- hence my interest in this point.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Mayrog,

I think you'll find that wifi doesn't have the reliable bandwidth. I tried, and several others on the forum have too, and it just isn't consistently good enough.SD is OK, but HD streaming is poor. I will be fitting a gigabit network at some point, however in the meantime I settled with 200mbps AV Homeplugs which work very well indeed and are flexible too.

mayrog

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 25, 2008
    New South Wales
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks - I'll see how far I can get with wifi because it's already set up but I'll put in Homeplug links if there is any problem.

Just to wrap up my original question about bypassing the router when streaming between the TV server and local client .... I dredged my memory and now clearly recall that, back in Win XP days, there was some definite wiki recommendation to install a "Microsoft Loop-back Adapter" if a PC was configured as a server and client. (This adapter was a s/w "device" that was in XP installation files).

I have confirmed that the Loop-back Adapter does also comes with Win 7 so I'm a bit puzzled why I can't now find any reference to it in the current wikis. Is it because bandwidth is less of an issue than it was 5-6 years ago or am I just missing some other point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom