is this standby (2 Viewers)

rab4169

Portal Member
September 12, 2005
hi got media portal up and running now great after full system install,using it with windows remote control ,when i press the off button on the control it all switches off but i still hear the power supply going and my processor fan ,the system also still consumes about 40 watt ,is this standby ? i was just want to try to see if system can go standby before buying tv card.
thanks
robert

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    You have the lowest level of stand by, from the sound of it. You need to enable S3(STR) in the BIOS of your motherboard and also check windows has advanced power management enables. At the very least, the fans should shut down. The only thing with power in Standby is the RAM and possibly USB devices.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    configure your windows in energy options to use "hibernate"
    then enable this in MediaPortals powerscheduler.

when your PC enters hibernate (S4), then it seems to you like it would have been shutdown.
    it also has the same powerconsumption as it would have been shutdown.
    but the powerscheduler can wake up your PC from S4 to start a scheduled recording and hibernate it again after finished.

entering and resuming from S4 takes longer than for S3 (standby).
    but S4 consumes less power and your PC can also be resumed if it looses mainpower.

rab4169

Portal Member
    September 12, 2005
    thanks ,have went to bios and set s3, how do i set it in windows , i have it set to minimal power management ,is this ok as cool n quiet says to set this to minimal power ,should i set any other settings like system standby or hibernate ,thanks for helping
    robert

rab4169

Portal Member
    September 12, 2005
    hi,think i have got going now , pc shuts down ,no fans or blinking lights,wakes up when i press a keyboard key, have not tested to see power used but i think it is in standby now,thanks.
    now to buy a good quality digital tv card to use with media portal,any recommendations?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Go totally PCI, What i mean by that is most Single cards are PCI and actually use the pci bus standards to transfer data, and there drivers are fine and cause no standby\resume issues.

Dual cards on the other Hand come in a few flavours, mainly USB based PCI cards, which use the USB standards to transfer Data, which seems to be where and when conflicts with the drivers come in, as the USB system is slow to start up.

I know the Pinnacle is not a Dual usb tuner mounted on a PCI card and also the Cinergy 2400i. The new Dvico dual fusion 4 card is unknown to me as to which platform it relies on PCI or USB bus.

Have gone through 3 Dual cards, Lifeview Duo Digital\Analogue PCI worked ok.
    DvicoHDTV Dual original (Half PCI, Half USB) Will not work on standby\Hibernate S3\S4 modes with MediaPortal\powerscheduler.
    Hauppauge T500 Dual usb tuners mounted on a PCI card and again will not work with MP\powerscheduler in S3\S4 mode.

Of course as with every problem, there is a workaround, use STSC\eric's program PVR-Scheduler (costs 5 Euro's) and use Hibernate instead of standby, works a treat.

Anyway hopefully my comments will give you an insight into any potential TV card problems you may experience, also look at the link below for more ideas.

http://forums.dvbowners.com/index.php?showforum=20

chenks

Portal Pro
    May 22, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    speaking of S1/S3 standby modes.

is there any way to turn off the flashing power light? or it specific to BIOS etc

in S1 power light flashes
    in S3 power light flashes slower than S1

kind of annoying in the middle of the night with a neon blue flashing light :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom