Is Windows 7 required for the MP-Server? (1 Viewer)

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
February 4, 2009
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
I'm currently using a WHS v1 which is based on W2k3 Standard. Since all my media files are on the server i'm interested in using the MP Server on my WHS but it seems that this isn't working. So i'm wondering whether it should work or not...

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Is Windows 7 required for the MP-Server?

Hallo.
    Officially MePo supports only Desktop OS like XP, Vista and 7. But lots of people have TV Server running on WHS. It's a bit tricky but it's possible. Search the german forum to find more advice.

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thank you for your anwser, but as you can see is my post placed in the MediaPortal 2 section so i'm obviously refering to the MP2 Server ;)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Is Windows 7 required for the MP-Server?

Sorry didn't seen that. I went here from "Live Posts" so havn't seen top of Page at all..
    AFAIK is MePo2 designed to run on Win7 and up only, including the TV Server. But in the beginning the "old" TV Server from MePo1 will be used until the TV Server V2 is ready to run. As long as the old TV Server is used it should be possible to install and run it on WHS1: Maybe you need to use the SetupTVServerxxx.exe instead of the deploy tool but at WHS MePo is allways tricky...

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well may be i have to explain my problem in greater detail ;)

As far as i know MP2 is based on a backend(MP Server) and a frontend(MP Client)... When only using a Client it's currently not possible to access SMB shares in the same way it's possible with the backend.

I also know that the MP2 Client is designed to only run on Windows 7 but it can't see a reason why it shouldn't be possible to use the backend(MP-Server not TV Server) on an NT5.1(?) based Kernel.

I'm not interested in installing the TV Server (and if i would be then i know how to do it ;) )

Smeulf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2010
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Well may be i have to explain my problem in greater detail ;)

As far as i know MP2 is based on a backend(MP Server) and a frontend(MP Client)... When only using a Client it's currently not possible to access SMB shares in the same way it's possible with the backend.

I also know that the MP2 Client is designed to only run on Windows 7 but it can't see a reason why it shouldn't be possible to use the backend(MP-Server not TV Server) on an NT5.1(?) based Kernel.

I'm not interested in installing the TV Server (and if i would be then i know how to do it ;) )

Hi,

Two points :

1 - MediaPortal 2 requires Windows 7 at least. It means we may use in future some specific API from Windows 7. In fact, we already do for the Client as you seems to know. I can't really say if the server uses thoses API currently.
    Then, there will be no official support for previous release of Windows than Windows 7.

2 - That said, if you install .Net 4.0 on a vista or a XP/2003 and Dokan library, the server "might" work. But this is at your own risk, because of the 1st point. If it don't works, it's beacuse we already use somewhere something specific to windows 7...

I know it's not a clear answer, but this is the official one.

The other was would be to access the WHS throught a network share, and point a MP2 global share (with MP2 server online) to this remote...
    [Edit] MP2 Clients and MP2 server on the same windows 7 machine, accessing WHS throught a network share... Hope you understand what I mean, or I'll need to make a draw ;)[/Edit]

Cheers.

Smeulf.

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    But this is at your own risk, because of the 1st point. If it don't works, it's beacuse we already use somewhere something specific to windows 7...
    That's what i had hoped, but unfortunately it doesn't work but the thing that makes me curious is the fact that there is no error. If i start the MP2 Server application it starts without an error and the taskmanager also shows the running process.
    If any non-existing api would be used i assumed that there would be an error.
    The other was would be to access the WHS throught a network share, and point a MP2 global share (with MP2 server online) to this remote...
    [Edit] MP2 Clients and MP2 server on the same windows 7 machine, accessing WHS throught a network share... Hope you understand what I mean, or I'll need to make a draw [/Edit]
    I understand what you mean and i will try it :)

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I've compiled the MP2 Server on my Windows 7 dev machine, then i've installed dokan tested the build. It works. Then i've moved the binary files to my home server, installed dokan on it too.
    After this i've started the MP2-Server exe. No error message appears, but no gui(in contrast to the Win7 machine)appears too. If i check the running processes with the taskmanager i'm able to to see the MP2 Server process but the MP2 Client isn't able to find the MP2 Server(firewall wasn't active).

Smeulf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2010
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    I've compiled the MP2 Server on my Windows 7 dev machine, then i've installed dokan tested the build. It works. Then i've moved the binary files to my home server, installed dokan on it too.
    After this i've started the MP2-Server exe. No error message appears, but no gui(in contrast to the Win7 machine)appears too. If i check the running processes with the taskmanager i'm able to to see the MP2 Server process but the MP2 Client isn't able to find the MP2 Server(firewall wasn't active).

Seems the server have a problem with creating HTTP listener for IPv6 on XP, witch not surprise me as IPv6 is not enabled by default on 2003/XP.

Maybe installing IPv6 will solve your problem, I didn't had time to test on a XP, and don't really want to set up a 2003 server for that purpose only, you may understand me ;)

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom