iTunes DRM Playback? (1 Viewer)

Altay Ayyuce

Portal Member
August 13, 2012
Home Country
Australia Australia
Is it possible to play iTunes downloaded Movies in MePo - i.e. does it handle the DRM that iTunes imposes?

I'm hoping in the future of buying my movies in digital format so that I don't have DVDs scattered around the house and was hoping to just use iTunes to purchase a digital copy of the movie, put it into my MePo movies folder and use MePo to play the movie.

Any help greatly appreciated.

mattjcurry

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 24, 2011
    I believe all you have to do is install iTunes on the mediaportal system. The only thing is that it counts against one of your 5 systems that apple allows.

LennyW

Portal Pro
    July 19, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It may not be that simple. I use Mediaportal 1.2.3 and files loaded from the iTunes store will not play (only in iTunes). I think that you can define iTunes as player for certain file types (it is .m4v or something like this for files loaded from iTunes store) if you use MePo 1.3 or higher. I close MePo and use iTunes in this case, but I have to admit that it is not convenient. If someone knows a better way, please let me know.

geoffstewart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 12, 2008
    Ottawa
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I've wanted something for this for a long time... I don't have many itunes movies, but a few...

You can use the quicktime player for DRM itunes movies... I find it less cumbersome than having to load up itunes.

I know there is a setting for video extensions.... and a setting for an external player....

A feature I'd like is a setting for extensions that require an external player... that way, you could play all your m4v files in quicktime player, but the rest of your non-DRM content can be played inside MP.

g

twemperor

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2010
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    There is already built-in support for iTunes, here: http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/14_Using_MediaPortal/8_Plugins/iTunes?highlight=itunes.
    I have this set up to include my .m4v files to play with the iTunes plug-in. The .m4v extension is removed from the Video Extensions list and Audio Extensions list of the Mediaportal Configuraiton. It's a little odd, because MP thinks that it's playing music, but I have iTunes configured to play video full screen and it pops to the front. I also have my remote mapped to the iTunes controls, and it works pretty well.

I like the idea of mapping playback to Quicktime, it seems that should work also...

Last edited:

geoffstewart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 12, 2008
    Ottawa
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    So, I tried your idea, @twemperor, but it doesn't seem to work. I've setup the itunes plugin with extension m4v and when I launch my DRM itunes movie from within moving pictures and I get just a frozen MP for a bit or once I got an MP crash. It's trying to play the file natively versus launching itunes.

twemperor

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2010
    Home Country
    I'll have to check my setup when I get home tonight. You may also have to remove the .m4v extension from the recognized video extensions of MP.

geoffstewart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 12, 2008
    Ottawa
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    OK, good idea... I removed m4v from the MP video extension list and it now jumps to the now playing screen (for music) but itunes is not launched.

ah well, not a huge deal

twemperor

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2010
    Home Country
    @geoffstewart, I first need to give you a personal thanks. I too lived with BeyondTV (from before it was BeyondTV) before I found Mediaportal. Your SchedulesDirect plugin works great, and I now use Guide Enhancer for Argus to keep all my recordings showing up in MP TV Series. Thanks for all your hard work too!

As for watching iTunes protected videos starting with MediaPortal, it took me some work but I have it. The .m4v extension is in neither the Video Extensions list or the Audio Extensions list. I do have the iTunes plugin installed, listing only the .m4v extention, and iTunes configured to start playback in fullscreen immediately. Unfortunately, this means that I can't keep MediaPortal on top (I need to let iTunes take the front). Getting the remote control to switch from MediaPortal commands to iTunes commands was also a pain, so let me know if you need help there. I use the Motorola Nyxboard (which is awesome!)

Good luck!

geoffstewart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 12, 2008
    Ottawa
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Cool, glad you find the plugins useful. I've not been able to spend any time on plugins lately... life is too busy ;)

I followed your instructions. It seems to launch the movie the first time, but any subsequent launch of a movie results in an error in moving pictures.

I'll spend some time debugging when I can and post logs.

Cheers.

g

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom