jerky 1080p 23.976Hz (or 24) video (1 Viewer)

doug

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2010
    Calgary
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi,
    I get really jerky video from my 1080p 23.976 or 24Hz MKVs and I can't figure out how to get it smooth. Here are some details...

I use Dynamic Refresh Rate Changer to select 23 or 24Hz on my nVidia GT 430 and the refresh rate is changing correctly. But the video looks like some frames are being drawn for twice as long as they should and some aren't being drawn at all (frames aren't being dropped according to the renderer).

-I'm using LAV Splitter, Video, and Audio (v0.48).
    -When I play the MKVs at 60Hz, they play smoothly with 3:2 pulldown.
    -I've used GraphStudio to confirm MP is opening the MKVs using LAV.
    -I've also manually set my refresh rate at 23.976 and manually built the LAV splittes/filters graph using GraphStudio and get nice and smooth video.
    -I've tried other codecs and older and newer video card drivers but always get the same jerkiness.

What else could it be?

Thanks,
    Doug

doug

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2010
    Calgary
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Here are a few more bits of information...
    -As already mentioned, when I start the movie in MP, pause it, then connect to it with a remote graph in GraphStudio, i get the smooth playback in GraphStudio. When I go back into MP and resume the movie, playback is smooth. Unfortunately, when I start watching LiveTV (1080i ATSC) after switching back from GraphStudio, TV frames are dropped like crazy (the frame rate has switched back to 59.94).

Thanks,
    Doug

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I notice you are using dshowhelper v78 - does it behave the same with the standard MP 1.2.2 dshowhelper (v55f) ?

Is the Aero desktop enabled ?

Single or dual monitor/TV connected ?

Which nvidia drivers are you using/have you tried ? (some of the recent versions have been bad for video playback)

Can you post a screen capture with the render stats enabled (shift + 1) ?

Tony

doug

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2010
    Calgary
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi, Tony.

I notice you are using dshowhelper v78 - does it behave the same with the standard MP 1.2.2 dshowhelper (v55f) ?
    It does behave the same way with the original dshowhelper. I've tried a few of your versions with no improvement.

Is the Aero desktop enabled ?
    Yes. Aero is enabled.

Single or dual monitor/TV connected ?
    Single monitor.

Which nvidia drivers are you using/have you tried ? (some of the recent versions have been bad for video playback)
    I've tried every WHQL Release from nVidia from 260.99 to their latest one, 295.73. I've used DriverSweeper in Safe Mode to remove all traces of previous drivers. I'm currently using ASUS WHQL release version 267.85. I read somewhere that the early versions (258 and earlier) were better. I tried to use 258 but it would not install as the GT 430 is not supported.

Can you post a screen capture with the render stats enabled (shift + 1) ?
    Attached.

Thanks for any help!
    Doug

Attachments

• 14-05-28.png
      14-05-28.png
      1.5 MB

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Under Start -> SAF -> LAV etc go to the LAV video config and make sure u have the settings correct there (use CUVID if your using an nvidia card) .

EDIT: An odd thing.. i run Fraps in the background (not doing anything exactly just there) and it makes everything smooth ..lol.. im not sure why .. it just does

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    24Hz on Windows just seems to behave weirdly sometimes - these sort of stuttering problems keep cropping up for no reason that anyone can work out. It seems that something in the rendering chain doesn't get reset when switching to/from 24Hz (whereas 50<->60Hz switching works fine).

The logs look fine, and the screenshot displays the usual symptom (the render time - green line - gets very long because Windows is stalling/blocking the rendering of frames to the screen).

Sorry, I don't have any helpful suggestions at the moment.....

The Fraps effect sounds interesting :) - might try that - what settings are you using ?

Tony

doug

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2010
    Calgary
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks, guys.

I tried the Fraps thing and it didn't work for me. I'm curious what version and settings you are using too and I'll try those. FYI, CUDA is enabled in LAV and I see low CPU usage while videos play.

Thanks,
    Doug

doug

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2010
    Calgary
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    So I do have a workaround for the stuttering video that I am going to be testing. For now it works when done manually and I am setting up the scripts to test it, but won't be able to test it until next week. Here's what works for me manually:
    -Change the refresh rate in Windows (from 60 to 24 in my case)
    -Start a video in MP.
    -Start GraphStudio, load a graph and start the video, then exit GraphStudio. (I think this can occur before starting MP and launching a video)
    -That's it. (because I did this in windowed mode, I go into full screen mode and restart the video. )

I'm going to look at automating this using the EventTrigger plugin to detect when a video is played/stopped in MP and launching GraphStudio with EventGhost.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom