[fixed] [JIRA MP1-2469] - DetectDrive method obsolete ? (1 Viewer)

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I would say - USB hard drives - respect shares. USB flash drives - show the whole drive.
    depend on your use ...
    for me USB = mobility / extra storage / backup / and sharing with friends. but never use everyday.
    except for HTPC side, if you use MicroATX case without HDD space or none NAS. and for this i can understand this use ...
    Who are ESATA drive for test ?

And this is the fundamental problem. There is no correct answer to this one.

What we have to do is come up with a clear plan that allows the user to define shares on all types of hard drive. These may include PIN protected shares.

Then the user may want to connect a drive while using MP. If the drive has shares defined, the user would probably expect to see them (and nothing else). However, there is a chance that the user attached the drive because they wanted to access something on it.

We can't get anywhere with this without knowing what is technically possible.

Also, we should move all of this discussion into a new thread to avoid cluttering this one up.

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    Just to add on USB chatting some things :), yes I can distinguish USB HDD from other devices and can integrate check if some folder is shared in plugins, not to be added to drive list though respecting what is defined in shares (there is drive letter problems as elliot wrote if you don't fix it in disk management and this for ordinary Joe/Joanna :) is black hole).

Complete removing/showing require new setting or hidden setting in config and filtering drives according to it, so who need this should manually change it.

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    @DocumentationGroup : yet me .
    doc for this, nothing in wiki, like before in the section what new 1.5 > 1.6 and maybe update existing info about management of external device

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    What needs to be documented azzuro? IIUC it's a bug fix to enable HDD USB to be available as a device in MP. What does a user (or plugin dev) need to do differently now?

If there is an existing wiki page that now requires updating, just reopen the issue, add a Docs Subtask and indicate the page that needs to be updated and the info that needs to be changed. That's the only way we add pages to What's New section of wiki, and thus the only way main wiki gets updated.

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    as you said, this rework or bugfix, for me depend of POV.
    we don't have an small explanation about,"how are supported external device". ( or i don't found it )
    if are ejected safely / the bug for @catavolt where if External HDD is mounted as sharedfolder, all is ignored ...

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    OK, I think I understand - you mean there are no docs to update because we have never documented anything about using external devices?
    So is there some new setting(s) in MP, or does the fix just change how the 'Automatically switch to removable drives' option works? Or is there some new way that external drives are shown under 'Add Folders' in Config and Settings?

FYI if you, or anyone, is referring to a post (e.g. catavolt's bug) please link to the post. I simply don't have the time to read through hundreds of posts for each issue trying to find what you are referring to. Thanks.

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    many post talk of this issue
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/complete-1-6-0-test-build.123399/page-20#post-1051883
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...e-method-obsolete.113317/page-13#post-1057096

hummm
    we can create an new wiki page, dedicated to this feature or inside sharedfolder setting wiki page.

add more explanation here : http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/141_Configuration/MediaPortal_Configuration/2_Videos/1_Video_Folders?highlight=shared folder

and add new page dedicated to External storage device : http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/14_Using_MediaPortal/01_Basics
    with screenshot and what is possible " eject" ...

it's a proposition.

And now, we have WOL feature to include in Shareview page :p

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    JFYI, I repaired locally share defined USB media PIN problem and visibility, so if user defines USB media in shares, they will not be visible in list except defined share and PIN will be respected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom