Jittery video gets worse over time. Lots of frames dropped. (1 Viewer)

Vimes

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2009
    Earth, for now
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hello

When I am watching a video I find that the playback starts to get jittery and that I am dropping frames, after a few minutes. This will get worse and when I look at the graph I will get this...

91445958.jpg

...prior to the graph looking like that all the coloured lines are normally flatlined with virtually no dropouts. Could anyone please give me some idea of where to start looking to resolve the problem or what other information is needed please..?

Graphedit is showing this for the video...

graphyr.png

...as well as my system spec I have the latest NVidia drivers installed (tried older). The PC is just for a HTPC so there is nothing else apart from the required drivers etc running at start up.
    I have tried the latest LAV filters for the decoding instead of the FFDShow (ffdshow_rev4342_20120228_clsid) ones with no difference.

Each of the 2TB HD's are connected via a SATA 2 channel. The OS and Media Portal are installed on a Plextor SSD drive.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Some logs would be good.

Has this just started to happen, is it only with some files or with everything, what is your CPU usage like when it happens ?

Any chance that the CPU (or motherboard chipset) could be overheating ?

Have you disabled real-time virus checking of video files & folders ?

Tony

Vimes

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2009
    Earth, for now
    Home Country
    Thanks for the suggestions. In the morning I will run MP in a window with the task manager running. I will then be able to monitor cpu usage, system temps, i/o usage and watch the graph in MP for the dropped frames and the big spikes.
    This has been noticed on and off for a little while but if I changed a driver etc it would then resolve itself, or so I thought.
    MSE is the AV but again when ran in a window I can monitor for that.
    Thanks again for your ideas.

EDIT: I have removed all of my codecs and installed SAF 6.08. Now graphedit is showing this when the same file is playing...

graph2y.png

...that is the first time that I have ever seen "lav splitter" - not sure why as I had manually installed that previously. Also the audio rendering device has now been changed.
    I am monitoring now to see if I can reproduce the issue and if so I will grab a screen and then upload logs. Hopefully I will not be able to do that :)

Vimes

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2009
    Earth, for now
    Home Country
    still doing this...

79836003.jpg

...not sure why this is still happening. No AV installed on the machine and yet whilst just playing back the xvid file noted in the screengrab it starts to drop frames.?!

Vimes

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2009
    Earth, for now
    Home Country
    With a totally fresh install of Windows 7 x64 and the updates needed I then installed MP fresh and just used the basic skin but with the TV series and Moving Pictures plugins applied.

I would still get the issue as noted above, not always but when it did a full reboot would sort it out - for a while. I tried the SAF 6.x filters as well removing them and trying variations of other codec etc but with no permanent solution.
    Trying it without the TV series and Moving Pictures plugin did not help, albeit it seemed to be a random thing and I had to wait for a while for it to occur again.

I then removed Media Portal and tried RC 2 of XBMC. It does seem to have resolved the issue and albeit not a choice I wanted to consider I am pleasantly surprised at how well it runs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom