Join all media files in one menu (1 Viewer)

esr87w

Portal Member
March 30, 2007
Home Country
Spain Spain
All my media files (familiar videos & photos) are stored in the same folder sorted by date. When I finish to see photos I must to go to root menu and select "my videos" menu and go to the same folder.

I prefeer one menu option only "My media files" with different sub-root folders like now. Inside each folder MediaPortal will show all supported media files (Avi, mpg, jpg, wav, mp3, etc..)

It would be easyer, I think.

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    I agree. The name of the menu could be anything, the content unrelated to the specific media type but related to the title of the content.

That way I could put my Music Videos into my 'Music' section, Comedy videos and comedy sounds together. etc etc etc.

I think you need to put this in the suggestions forum.

chenks

Portal Pro
    May 22, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

because it would be cluttered and messy to have every piece of media within one menu item on the home screen.

it makes much more sense to have it the way it is and have a menu option for each type of media, be it Video, Music, Photo, or whatever.

esr87w

Portal Member
    March 30, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Post moved

As you've said: "some people love it, some hate it"

Well, If MP was allowing this possibility, some persons would use one and other persons other one.

Freedom for everyone!.

:oops: I moved this post to " Improvement Suggestions" forum.

gxtracker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Speaking simply as a user here, this is a feature I would never want to see integrated into MP. Content should be organized by its type, not by how favorable it is.

When a person sits down at the TV, the first subconscious question they ask is "what do I want to do? watch TV? watch a movie? play a game? etc..." this is where the selection process begins. after that you narrow down the selection process until you have exactly what you want.

Of course, MP is an open system. If enough people really want it, them im sure someone out of that group can develop a plugin for exactly this purpose... hint hint. ;)

idioteque

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Speaking simply as a user here, this is a feature I would never want to see integrated into MP. Content should be organized by its type, not by how favorable it is.

When a person sits down at the TV, the first subconscious question they ask is "what do I want to do? watch TV? watch a movie? play a game? etc..." this is where the selection process begins. after that you narrow down the selection process until you have exactly what you want.

Of course, MP is an open system. If enough people really want it, them im sure someone out of that group can develop a plugin for exactly this purpose... hint hint. ;)

true but photocamara's make small movies aswell. So if a user is watching his holiday pictures ans also made a few small movies, why can't he view those in pictures ??

I think the best solution is to use commen sense, and enable access to different kind of files to the users choosing, say by extention type

chenks

Portal Pro
    May 22, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    why can't he view those in pictures ??

i think you answered that question yourself.... he can't view a movie in the PICTURES section as it is NOT a picture.

the way it is just now, you know where ALL the video files are. in your scenario, videos could be in any number of places - at the moment you don't have to think about where the video file you are looking for might be, you KNOW it will be in the videos section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom