Just moved from WMC to Mediaportal and after some advice / help (1 Viewer)

Neild7744

Portal Pro
July 25, 2013
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello!

Ive been a Windows Media Centre user for some time and have always appreciated the ability to customise a HTPC...etc. Anyway to cut a long story short, WMC would not do what I wanted it to.

I have a rack mounted HTPC in my loft feeding my lounge TV and when the time came (a few months ago) to installing a client in the loft for my bedroom TV I ran into a load of hassle using MCE as basically...it wont do what I wanted it to.

One night 2 weeks ago I re-installed windows and had a play with mediaportal. I must say im impressed. Ive done a bit of reading and had a play with a few plugins and got most things up and running. I have 8 satellite feeds and 4 freeview feeds into my server along with a load of movies and TV series. Ive used the Titan skin (which I think works well) and have MP TV series plugin installed and a few others. Ive also setup my client and seems to be working nicely. Hoping to get it wired tonight and start testing it.

Anyway was hoping for some advice on the following...

1) Using EPG collector and XMLTV plugin when EPG is grabbed and loaded into mediaportal I get a beautiful full guide listed EPG...however my EPG colours disappear. Ive had a brief play but cant seem to get it working? I quite like having a coloured EPG. EPG collector can also grab fan art and display it in the MCE guide (which I like)...is there any way of doing this with mediaportal?

2) Ive seen the 'online videos' plugin which ive had working, however is there any way to get Netflix as a plugin as im a big fan of the service?

3) I downloaded the 'UK TV Logos pack' and my EPG shows all channel logo's (which is great) but when I go into 'Radio' I get a nice list but no logos. Also is there anyway to default the radio menu to display radio shows as EPG view like for TV other than 'list' or 'large icons'?

4) I said earlier im running 8 satellite feeds and 4 freeview (UK) as a TV server but have no MB space to add anymore. Can clients be setup with tuners installed so they can all share tuners on a network?

5) Im a big fan of 'Media Center Master' and have a huge collection of fan art for all my movies and TV series. Ive read that media center master does not support mediaportal as the formats are different? Is this true?...The reason I ask is im using mediaportal fan art plugin and updating my movies, but fanart is missing (however there is loads of fanart located in my movie directory as background.pjpg, folder.jpg etc).

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    1 setup colors in tvserver setup.

EPG collector can also grab fan art and display it in the MCE guide (which I like)...is there any way of doing this with mediaportal?
    no

2. there is a net flix plugin.

3. yes. put images in radio logo folder. see link in my sig it explains the folder location.
    4. not really. but you can try recording onto nas.

5.i like moving pictures plugin for movies. it can pick uplocal fanart as well aslong as the fanart is in the same folder.[DOUBLEPOST=1375726292][/DOUBLEPOST]ps. if your sticking with mp, full out your system specs :)

Last edited:

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I said earlier im running 8 satellite feeds and 4 freeview (UK) as a TV server but have no MB space to add anymore. Can clients be setup with tuners installed so they can all share tuners on a network?
    sure there is!
    http://www.digitaldevices.de/russian/DVB-Komponenten.ru.html (also available in your language :p)
    I have these tuner, too and these are pretty great! You can basically have 8 tuners on one pci-e port and 2 tuners per slot, because they are low profile and they provide slotbrackets for this, you have to look which one you need :)
    The tuners are not cheap, but really good quality :)
    They also provide network tuners, it is planned to implement support for these, but no eta yet :p

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Neild7744

Portal Pro
    July 25, 2013
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have setup the colours in my TV server (or at least I think I have). I was using Web EPG and my guide listing were coloured accordingly. When I switched to grabbing EPG using EPG collector colours have gone.

I tried to install Netflix (as a UK user) and link it to my account...didn't work though? Then I read somewhere there are issues with it?

Not interested in the NAS setup...Already thought of that, but would not get consistency of recordings and EPG data between 2 computers?

I will sort the radio logo's out asap.

Thanks for the quick response.

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Not interested in the NAS setup...Already thought of that, but would not get consistency of recordings and EPG data between 2 computers?
    I'm not sure if you want mor tuners in your setup or if you have a disk space problem...
    anyway nas should work, because the tv server manges the recordings and provide these to the clients...

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    there is a plugin fanart handler if I'm not wrong, but I don't know if it fits your needs...

Nope, my personal development. Little plugin to get current program title, search series on tvdb and get trakt backdrop :)

Nice I was thinking about doing something like that, have you released it yet. Maybe @cul8er can add that function to existing fanarthandler. I'm guessing trakt api means you don't have to access both themoviedb and thetvdb, there would also be fanart.tv I think trakt pretty much mirrors the other sites.[DOUBLEPOST=1375741995][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I'm not sure if you want mor tuners in your setup or if you have a disk space problem...
    anyway nas should work, because the tv server manges the recordings and provide these to the clients...

Yeah I thought he meant mb = megabyte, but maybe he means mb = motherboard lolz

megabyte - just record to nas folder
    motherboard - lowprofile pci with adapters or network attached tuners eg. silicon homerun (make sure the network ones will work with mp, only some (?2) are supported)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom