Justop G-PC Quad Core Windows 8.1 Mini PC (1 Viewer)

Dominiccc

Portal Member
September 24, 2015
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I know the Branded item Justop G-PC comes with a full version of 8.1, I am wondering what this unbranded box with apparently identical hardware come with.

I am reluctant to try Win 7 on the box for fear of running into driver issues and it seems a waste of a Win 7 Ultimate licence for such a small beastie!
No reply from the seller regarding the 8.1 version yet.

Dominiccc

Portal Member
September 24, 2015
Home Country
The unit I bought on Ebay for £65 upgraded to Windows 10 using the upgrade tool from the Microsoft website without any problems. It came with a US (I believe) connector on the PSU and a reasonable snug fit PSU adapter so I can plug it in my UK mains socket.

The only paperwork included, just a drawing of how to connect it up really, described it as an "Intel Compute box i8"

I've ordered a couple of different cheap heatsinks and some thermal paste from Ebay to add some additional cooling.

Does anybody know what the small push switch on the top right hand corner of the PCB is for? Its quite close to the WIFI connector but that may not be relevant.There is also the word "resent" which might be Chinese for "reset" I suppose. I haven't pressed it yet in case it does something nasty to my BIOS settings!

I will use HWMonitor1.28x32 for monitoring the core and GPU temperatures before and after adding the heatsinks and IntelBurnTest to stress the CPU.

G-PC2.jpg

__
G-PC1.jpg

When I unscrewed the PCB I noticed that the the heat transfer soft silicon strip only half covered the PCB heat transfer pad (see pic in next post) so I moved it across 1cm to fully cover it.

Last edited:

Dominiccc

Portal Member
September 24, 2015
Home Country
g-pc4.jpg

You can just see the impression on the PCB of the original position of the heat transfer pad.
I ought to get the heatsinks stuck on and temp tests done in a couple of days. I will post the without and with heatsink maximum temps.

Dave46

Portal Member
November 18, 2015
Home Country
Seems to be a great bit of kit, had it a while now and find it really good for my needs. I have noticed though that the WiFi not great (as others have said) on a 50mb I only get 10mb. I don't really have an option for a wired connection but wondered if a use WiFi dongle might help boost the connection speed. Anyone tried one? Would a 5ghz type work? Cheers

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I've ordered a couple of different cheap heatsinks and some thermal paste from Ebay to add some additional cooling.
    Any news about this? How did that go and what is the behavior for 1080i TV sources? Also can you add pictures of your final result?

Does anybody know what the small push switch on the top right hand corner of the PCB is for?
    Mine doesn't have anything soldered there. You can see the places though.

Sadly I bricked mine: I tried to optimize the BIOS - at Christmas day - and now the screen remains dark. From what I've read there is no salvage other than have it reflashed.

Dave46

Portal Member
    November 18, 2015
    Home Country
    Anyone tried a vpn to access sites I'm using Firefox, chrome with Hola and hotspot shield but I'm struggling to get the videos to work properly there's alot of juddering even though when tested the connection seems very good. The same site works fine on my windows laptop. Would it be a performance issue?

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi guys,

I bought one of these (Unbranded Justop) as a new client (getting back in to MePo), but I'm having problems with the power management - I can not wake the device after I have pressed the power button on the remote (unless I press the case power button). Once I have pressed the power button (after a few seconds) all the lights go off on the unit.

I have configured the various USB devices to not power off and allow to wake.
    I have enabled the Enhanced C-Mode states in the bios

I have tried with both "Connected Standby" enabled and disabled

Also, it appears the device does not support sleep, only hibernate (and Fast Start), can anyone else confirm this?

JFYI - Mine did not have any heatsink pad at all, the board was bear - so as you can imagine it got a tab warm and stuttered like crazy! I fitted a nice little copper block between the board and the case (I've actually got a 0.5mm insulating heatsink pad between the board and the copper). This works fine and the unit can play 1080i and 1080p ok (I have obviously disabled the services/processes I do not need in Windows).

J.

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    I think that sleep has to be enabled in the power settings in win10.

Off the top of my head you have to navigate to power options in control panel, and then on the left hand side theres a setting to 'choose what the power buttons do'. There is then an option in the next screen to 'Change settings that are currently unavailable' which will allow you to turn on/off sleep/hibernate etc.

Don't know why Microsoft did it this way, but you have to enable it like this before you can use sleep mode.

Edit: By the way, ive found that there seems to be a slight bug in the sleep mode for windows 10 where both screensaver AND sleep have to be set to a chosen time. I found that my machine wont go to sleep unless screensaver is set to a shorter time than sleep (ie, in settings app navigate to System -> Power -> Set screensaver to come on after, say, 5 minutes and then set the machine to go to sleep after 10 minutes.)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I had my Justop replaced by a completely new one (bricked the old one when changing an entry in the BIOS - many thanks for Justop being so cooperative to exchange it for free(y)). While I don't exactly remember the BIOS date of the first device, the new one is dated April 2015.

It appears indeed that there i some changed behavior: I have yet not been able to set USB devices to remain powered on. That said, I have also not been able yet to configure the system to standby - instead it appears to be hibernating although hibernation is deactivated in the power settings. HAving real time constraints these days, I have not put much effort into this and just press the power button on the case to power it up again.

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi there,

I tried all that with choosing what the buttons did, the weird thing is that by default they were set to "sleep", when I clicked on the dropdown to see what options there were, the sleep option wasn't present and the default changed to hibernate - So it appears the OS was expecting the PC to support sleep (default OS option maybe) but when given the choice it realised it didn't support it and removed it from the list.

If I disable hibernate (powercfg -hibernate off) and then chose standby/hibernate from within MePo it does nothing.

I think my BIOS is dated April 2015 too.

J.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom