Justop G-PC Quad Core Windows 8.1 Mini PC (1 Viewer)

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    some of this is just stuff to try, mainly sanity check

1. can you boot the windows repair USB on a different windows computer? sanity check that the repair USB is clean/works.

2. on linux, does the "gparted" partition tool show any sign of the EMMC drive? maybe try "lsblk" or "lsblk -f" to see what drives linux finds, or "lshw" if the commands are installed. Some web browser search time might be needed to figure out what the commands do.

3. Are the motherboard "CMOS settings" messed up? search for "motherboard CMOS reset" to see how this works on other motherboards. There might be some tiny print on the motherboard that show what jumpers to use.

4. Is the motherboard CMOS battery dead (CR2032?? etc)? Maybe unplug all cables, power, hdmi, usb, etc, make a cup of coffee/tea, wait 5 minutes, and plug the cables back in (power last). When was the last time the battery was replaced?

Dominiccc

Portal Member
    September 24, 2015
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The small BIOS coin batteries in my 2 devices died years ago. I dont think the battery maintains any data essential to boot the device. The drive on my first one failed a couple of years ago. It showed up in BIOS as being only 8GB in size. I spent ages mucking about to try and get some life out of it running Windows again but gave up in the end. Shame as it was a very very low power device that run remarkably well for what it was.
    I have a second unit that I recently messed up by being careless with a backup/restore test but the emmc drive hardware was still OK. I gave up trying to recover this device with a Windows install usb stick as I had trouble finding the required drivers and there wasn't enough space on the drive to reinstall from scratch. I wasn't able to persuade the reinstall process to overcome this very small drive limitation. I suspect a better person might!

Sorry I cant help further with your question regarding data recovery. If the emmc is fried I doubt that you will get anything out even if you could remove it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom