JVC LT-37P80B LCD TV resolution, please advise (1 Viewer)

Arn01805

Portal Pro
July 31, 2006
Breda
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
This LCD television has 2 HDMI inputs and a seperate PC input(I guess it's VGA). The resolution of the panel in the specs is 1366x768. When I ask the distrubutor about the resolution with DVI to HDMI cable, the answer is : 1024x768

Does this mean I can't get 1:1 pixelmapping? Should I buy this TV when I use it primairy for mediaportal?

Should I use DVI to HDMI input, or is it better to use the PC input in this case where I can't input the panels native resolution. I remember reading somewhere that samsung lcd TV has the same issue and VGA input was better than HDMI in this case.

Perhaps I should look out on another brand or model. Please can someone advise?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    When I ask the distrubutor about the resolution with DVI to HDMI cable, the answer is : 1024x768

You will not be able to do 1:1 pixel mapping with this TV, unfortunately have same problem with my philips.

TV's that have HD1080i, will definately be able to do this, the rest you have to go through there specs, or maybe the avsforum for guidance.

Simian60

Portal Member
    October 12, 2007
    This LCD television has 2 HDMI inputs and a seperate PC input(I guess it's VGA). The resolution of the panel in the specs is 1366x768. When I ask the distrubutor about the resolution with DVI to HDMI cable, the answer is : 1024x768

Does this mean I can't get 1:1 pixelmapping? Should I buy this TV when I use it primairy for mediaportal?

Should I use DVI to HDMI input, or is it better to use the PC input in this case where I can't input the panels native resolution. I remember reading somewhere that samsung lcd TV has the same issue and VGA input was better than HDMI in this case.

Perhaps I should look out on another brand or model. Please can someone advise?

The HDMI will accept the standard (HD) TV screen resolutions: 1280x720, 1920x1080, 720x480, 540x480, and so on.

The VGA port will only work properly with 1024x768.

HDMI will be overscanned, so you will lose ~20 display pixels at each edge of the screen.

VGA will not be overscanned.

On my JVC, I get the best results with 720p input (1280x720) on the HDMI port (with either the HDMI or the DVI output of my graphics card), and the video display corrected for overscan on the PC (I think MP can do this if the card does not support it).

Most 720p sets actually have 1366x768 screens, and stretch the video to fit, because of some daft legacy PC resolution so in the end you will have a HD video at 1280x720, converted to a 1250x700 window by MP, and then spread over 1366x768 by the TV.

If you're worried about pixel perfect HD, then you need a 1080p set, which has an option of turning off the overscan - something not often mentioned in the technical specifications, but the manufacturers should be able to tell you if you ask them.

Simon.

visteon

Portal Pro
    October 19, 2007
    My TV is a L37G6AE it displays 1280x768 via VGA 1:1 pixelmap. I then have to use the overscan button on the remote to stretch it to fullscreen 1366x768.
    Works very well with MP, video etc but is better unstretched for text.

Arn01805

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2006
    Breda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Well, this JVC TV set is for my parents. They bought this set already and I will be playing with resolutions next week to get MP perfect on the screen. I must say that I was surprised not all TV's work like my LG-LCD. I send 1360x768 directly on the HDMI of my own LG-set and don't have any overscan. It just fits the screen perfectly.

anyway thank you all for the replies, I'm going to play with it next week and i'll let you know my results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom