Keyboard Media Keys Don't Function in MP (1 Viewer)

jacktheknife

Portal Member
January 23, 2010
Estherville, IA
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have sucessfully set up my MCE remote to work fully, but none of the media keys on my wireless keyboard work within MP. The keys work just fine in Media Center and Media Player. Any ideas?

Below is a picture and all the info I have about the keyboard.

sku_16044_1.jpg

Mini 78+19 Keys USB 2.4GHz RF Wireless Programmable Multimedia Keyboard with Trackball Mouse

- 2.4GHz digital wireless transmission
- USB receiver included
- Maximum wireless range: 10 meters
- 78-key mini keybaord + 19-key programmable special access/multimedia keys
- Trackball mouse built-in
- Features manual on/off switch to guard against accidental keystrokes and to save power
- Keyboard powered by 2 x AAA batteries (included)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    What happens if you untick MCE remote and select HID instead in the config (never tried having both enabled), I use the MCE keyboard, so cannot test if this works for you.

jacktheknife

Portal Member
    January 23, 2010
    Estherville, IA
    Home Country
    Okay, I got it figured out. I had the MCE remote, general HID device, and sceeno remote all checked. Unchecking the sceeno remote did the trick.

You are probably wondering why I had the sceeno remote checked in the first place. I noticed when I was trying to get all my MCE remote keys to work that when I had the sceeno remote checked hitting ALT F4 would bring up the shutdown menu. When unchecked it just closes the program. I have intelliremote set up to use my POWER button as ALT F4. I kind of liked the menu, although I think CLOSE MEDIA PORTAL should be added as option five, and would like to keep it working. BUT MP's remote mapper doesn't recognize my power key and therefore I can't script for it.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Personally to keep my system clean, if you have the real MCE remote with greeb button, use that to go to home screen and use the topbar menu to close down MP or the shutdown options, or if powerscheduler is enabled, once in home screen with nothing playing, let it turn pc off itselff.

If your remote driver is ehome infrared receiver, then other software in my opinion is unneccesary.

jacktheknife

Portal Member
    January 23, 2010
    Estherville, IA
    Home Country
    A couple of my buttons don't work with MP, which is why I am running the extra piece of software. Other than MP and windows services, it is the only thing running on this computer.

I am currently at work on a work around for my problem. I have remapped the INSERT key to bring up the shutdown menu, and am looking for a way to make my POWER button press insert when I am in MP and Alt-F4 if I have something else up. That way I can zap those extra windows away!

Incidently, does anyone know if it's possible to add CLOSE MEDIA PORTAL to the shutdown menu?

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    I have the same problem, but have only "Microsoft MCE" and "General HID" selected. I don't want to uncheck "Microsoft MCE" because the remote is more important than the keyboard, but it would be nice to have the media keys on the keyboard function as well. ISTR having this working with MP 1.1 running under WinXP MCE 2005 / SP3. Any tips on how to get it to work with MP 1,2 under Win 7?

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Hi rsbrux - I saw your comments on the related Wiki pages for General HID and Mapping Buttons. So if anyone can answer your question, I hope they will add the info to those pages so in future anyone can find it easily. Thanks!

I have come a little further with this. I have succeeded in mapping the keyboard keys for stop, play, pause, previous & next in the MP configuration section "General / Keys and Sounds". However, i haven't yet figured out how to map the keys for (My) Music, (My) Pictures, (My) Videos, Internet, etc.
    Since I don't seem to have adequate privileges to edit the wiki pages, here are some suggested enhancements:
    1. Add a reference from General HID to Keys and Sounds
    2. Add more detailed instructions in the section Change Keys, indicating that you must first "select the *root of* the key you wish to change", and then under *Key* - to change the key assignment, first click in the "Key" field, then press the key you want to use.

P.S. After discovering that logging into the forum hadn't logged me into the wiki, I have edited the wiki directly. For "Keys and Sounds", I edited the version under "General 1.2.0" but perhaps it is time to merge this with the main branch, now that v1.2.1 has been out for a while.

P.P.S Changed title of wiki page "General 1.2.0" to "General 1.2.x" and removed reference to "beta".

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi rsbrux - glad you figured out you have to log into Wiki separately to edit ;) It allows us to authenticate your username/pw but not single sign on with website/Forum :(

Thanks a lot for the great contributions! I removed the 'incomplete' status from the General HID page now.

The references to alpha/beta etc indicate in which version the change was added, but it's no problem as we will soon remove those as we update the Wiki to 1.2.x. And yes, we will move General 1.2.x content to the main General page soon. We are working on a new process so we won't have those issues in future. As soon as it is 'approved' we will fix all those up.

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Still trying to figure out how to map the keys for (My) Music, (My) Pictures, (My) Videos, Internet, etc.
    Any tips would be most welcome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom