Kiwijunglists Android Concept (1 Viewer)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi

Just starting my own android concept, some of the ideas are taken from diebadger's concept idea, but I wanted to have my own concept without interfering with his one. The application automatically sends a network wake on lan message to the mp client when it is run. When you click on My TV it also sends a wakeon lan network message to the tvserver. When you exit the android application it has dialog box asking if you want to put the MP Client +/- TV Server (if woken) to sleep.

Mediaportal Home

attachment.php

This is the main home screen for the android application.
    Clicking on icons changes the screen on the android remote but will not effect the client.
    The bottom bar shows the currently playing media
    The look of the bottom bar depends on the current type of playing media (music / live tv / videos / remote mode)
    Current example shows music playing
    - Bottom buttons from left -> right are, playlist, prev track, play/pause, next track.
    Bottom right icon brings up remote
    - General remote / Numpad / Keyboard

My TV - Main screen

attachment.php

Back - Returns android application to main home screen
    TV Guide - Displays the TV Guide
    Channels List - Displays a list of the TV Channels for changing channel on the MP Client
    Recorded TV - Displays a list of TV Recordings for playback on the MP Client
    Transfer Recordings - Displays a list of Recorded TV, clicking on a recording will copy the recording to the androids SD card +/- transcode prior to copy if necessary
    Stream Live TV - Displays a list of TV Channels for streaming on the android device
    Stream TV Recordings - Displays a list of TV Recordings for streaming on the android device

Bottom Bar: Current channel name + channel title on MP Client (TV MODE as my imaginary MP Client is currently watching TV)

Bottom Screen: (TV MODE)
    First button - popup with list of tv channels
    Second button - Prev channel
    Third button - Pause
    Forth button - Next channel
    Fifth button - Launch ALT remote

My TV - TV Guide

72447d1291016969-kiwijunglists-android-concept-mytv-tvguide.jpg

My TV - Channels List

attachment.php

attachment.php

In the setup of the remote you can choose either
    - icons + Channel name
    - or Icons + Program title list.

The reason for this is not everyone sets up their tv icons properly

Remote Control

attachment.php

Sorry it's a bit ugly currently. The buttons just work like a regular IR remote
    Bottom buttons: Back arrow returns to previous screen prior to launching remote control, other buttons load keyboard/numpad

Remote Keyboard

attachment.php

Sorry it's a bit ugly currently. The buttons just work like a regular keyboard
    Bottom buttons: Back arrow returns to previous screen prior to launching remote keyboard, other buttons load remote control/numpad

Remote Keypad

attachment.php

Sorry it's a bit ugly currently. The buttons just work like a regular keypad
    Bottom buttons: Back arrow returns to previous screen prior to launching remote keypad, other buttons load remote control/keyboard

Attachments

• MyTV.jpg
      MyTV.jpg
      188.2 KB
    • MyTV-ChannelsList(alt).jpg
      MyTV-ChannelsList(alt).jpg
      183.2 KB
    • MyTV-ChannelsList.jpg
      MyTV-ChannelsList.jpg
      169.9 KB
    • MyTV-TVGuide.jpg
      MyTV-TVGuide.jpg
      238.2 KB
    • RemoteControl.jpg
      RemoteControl.jpg
      167.6 KB
    • RemoteKeyboard.jpg
      RemoteKeyboard.jpg
      174.5 KB
    • RemoteNumpad.jpg
      RemoteNumpad.jpg
      157 KB
    • Home.jpg
      Home.jpg
      187.4 KB
    • tvguide.jpg
      tvguide.jpg
      230.8 KB
    • tvguide01.jpg
      tvguide01.jpg
      87.8 KB
    • tvguide02.jpg
      tvguide02.jpg
      92.7 KB
    • tvguide03.jpg
      tvguide03.jpg
      91.6 KB
    • tvguide04.jpg
      tvguide04.jpg
      117.8 KB
    • tvguide05.jpg
      tvguide05.jpg
      101.4 KB
    • tvguide06.jpg
      tvguide06.jpg
      108.6 KB

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hi

Just starting my own android concept, some of the ideas are taken from diebadger's concept idea, but I wanted to have my own concept without interfering with his one.

diebadger? what??? kiwidjilist??? :p

I'm guessing you're the proud owner of a galaxy s? ;)

Mediaportal Home

attachment.php

This is the main home screen for the android application.
    Clicking on icons changes the screen on the android remote but will not effect the client.
    The bottom bar shows the currently playing media
    The look of the bottom bar depends on the current type of playing media (music / live tv / videos / remote mode)
    Current example shows music playing
    - Bottom buttons from left -> right are, playlist, prev track, play/pause, next track.
    Bottom right icon brings up remote
    - General remote / Numpad / Keyboard
    Tbh I would stay consistent with the right icon (return to homescreen). Otherwise it will be confusing for the user and I find that in the winamp app it's very handy that you can return to the homescreen from any screen of the app.

My TV - Main screen
    Back - Returns android application to main home screen
    TV Guide - Displays the TV Guide
    Channels List - Displays a list of the TV Channels for changing channel on the MP Client
    Recorded TV - Displays a list of TV Recordings for playback on the MP Client
    Transfer Recordings - Displays a list of Recorded TV, clicking on a recording will copy the recording to the android device +/- transcode if necessary
    Stream Live TV - Displays a list of TV Channels for streaming on the android device
    Stream TV Recordings - Displays a list of TV Recordings for streaming on the android device

I think as far as the tv-guide goes it should be used to browse the epg from the tv-server on the device and schedule recordings/start timeshifting. The part that actually tunes the program on the MediaPortal client should be seperate in the remote control section (you can have 1 tv-server but multiple clients) more like the mini-epg in MediaPortal. Althoug a context menu when long pressing on an epg item saying "start on client x" with all connected clients sounds pretty nice as well... :)

As far as Stream Live TV goes, it seems like https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...treaming-symbian-android-other-clients-89967/ managed to get a working transcoding for android. Haven't tried it yet though. Streaming the rtsp stream directly doesn't work unfortunately (even though android supports rtsp).

One super-awesome feature would be a transfer button for every item available (recordings/videos/music/..) which copies it to the android sd card.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    oh yeah i thought u were some kinda badger or squirrel ;) yup i have a galaxy s, although i want to get a Desire HD.

with regard to the bottom screen i'm actually thinking maybe it should be like this

| HOME | RRWD | PLAY | FFWD | REMOTE |

home takes the android app back to the main screen
    remote takes the android app into remote mode (remote control / keyboard / numpad).
    don't have a playlist button, playlist could be accessed by draging up the bottom bar as per your concept.
    The other thing to consider is should there be a back button here to return to previous android application screen,
    this might be useful because then you don't have to integrate the back button into the upper half of the screen.

But when in the remote mode (the bottom screen should have the following)
    1. return back to previous screen prior to bringing up the remote
    2. toggle between remote control / keyboard / numpad
    3. maybe it should also have the home button to goto main screen as well here (to keep consistency)

I have to think of a nice way to display tv guide on such a small device
    I can think of two different ways

1. Regular View, same as current TV Guide on MP Client

Displays all channels vertically and then you scroll left/right to change the time, I'm not sure if you can fit always this info on such a small screen.

2. Channel View

Display only one channel at a time
    Scroll vertically for the time
    Buttons at top on either side of the channel name for viewing next/prev channel

3. Mini guide style view

Similar to the miniguide view on the mp client
    Displays only currently playing tv show + next tv show for all channels

bodiroga

Portal Pro
    January 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Hi Kiwijunglist!

I really like you mobile app concept, but... what do you need for that "back" button? Can the hardware "back" button be used for that purpose? I personally don't like those back buttons in lists (as well as in Mediaportal) when we have hardware buttons that can make the same.

What do you think?

Keep up with the great job and don't stop making mockups, ideas...

Best regards,

Aitor

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    yup you are right there is possibly no need for back button as most (but not all) android devices have hardware back button.
    I was also thinking about the button for toggling on screen keyboard, it is possible that this could be done with the menu button.
    you can also check out deadbadger's ;) mock up here - https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...oid-mediaportal-app-concept-90082/#post684887 it's a bit nicer than mine.

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    yup you are right there is possibly no need for back button as most (but not all) android devices have hardware back button.
    I was also thinking about the button for toggling on screen keyboard, it is possible that this could be done with the menu button.
    you can also check out deadbadger's ;) mock up here - https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...oid-mediaportal-app-concept-90082/#post684887 it's a bit nicer than mine.

Most definately not, your concept is at least as good, keep em coming... :)

:D

Btw got excited today and started a bit on the ui design, will post some in-app screens soon...

Thundercats

Portal Pro
    April 28, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    WOW! How come i have overlooked this thread? therr are ( i think) 2 other threads in the MP-forum that are trying to create an android-remote-app also. Yours is getting very close to what i am searching for so far.

Maybe dumb question, but is the app allready up-and-running or still in concept? Will you implement full MP-functionallity (i mean, i have not seen anything according to playing/controlling my music/moving pictures etc. yet)

Check-out this thread also: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/webservice-mobile-access-537/android-android-remote-89895/

Will yours auto-scale if i run this on a 8 inch android tabletPC?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom