Laptop as HTPC - Asus 1201N Eee PC (1 Viewer)

kesar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2008
    Warsaw
    Home Country
    Poland Poland
    I'm preparing to setup my 3rd client. This one will be placed in my bedroom.
    I analyzed mainly ION based barebones like: Zotac, Asrock, Asus, Foxconn but finally came up with this laptop
    Asus 1201N. It will be connected to 27'' LCD monitor with speakers mounted to the diy stand.

Instead of dedicated client I'll have spare latop at home for additional €70. Any of you have similar setup and can share opinion about such solution, please? Do you see any downsides of this approach?

Thanks,
    kesar

Ruud

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 5, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi Kesar,

nice netbook. Looking at the specs this will for sure run MP.
    I used to run MP on my (old) Acer Aspire One, this one only had problems with HD movies (because it lacks the GPU power = no ION ;)).

One downside of using a laptop is that the lid (screen) has to be opened because otherwise it will go into standby / hibernation: at least with mine. So the placement of the netbook has to be thought of carefully, very annoying if you have it in sight while watching a movie (you see the same contents on the netbooks screen. With a special key combination you can switch it of, but still...

hope this is helpfull,

regards,
    Ruud.

kesar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2008
    Warsaw
    Home Country
    Poland Poland
    Hi Ruud,
    thanks for your advice - good point. To be clear on this: when I connect the video plug to the laptop I will have both displays on. Am I correct?
    I thought there is a possibility to configure hardware profile that in case of secondary display connected the first display goes off (similar to "twice Fn+F8" on many laptops). I'm not sure if this can be achieved automatically, though.
    In any case I can turn the laptop in opposite direction, I guess ;)

regards,
    kesar

Ruud

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 5, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi Kesar,

correct! I use the Fn-F4 key on my system (have it currently running Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook edition), no experience with automatic switching the screen off when connecting or switching on the TV / external screen as this is probably a windows feature.

regards,
    Ruud.

loc

Portal Pro
    May 22, 2010
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    hi kesar

in windows xp in the control panel under power options -> advanced you can set it to leave the laptop running when you close the screen. i'm certain there is the same options under vista and windows7.

i have used this option lots of times when i have wanted to use my laptop plugged into a monitor.

hope this helps.:)

Ruud

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 5, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    hi kesar

in windows xp in the control panel under power options -> advanced you can set it to leave the laptop running when you close the screen. i'm certain there is the same options under vista and windows7.

i have used this option lots of times when i have wanted to use my laptop plugged into a monitor.

hope this helps.:)
    Hi,

good tip! So used to switching it off manually that I never looked any further: same tip applies to Ubuntu 10.04 btw ;)

regards,
    Ruud.

kesar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2008
    Warsaw
    Home Country
    Poland Poland
    Thx, loc. Exactly, good tip. Thank you, I will configure it this way. I just have to order all devices. I was just checking if this is a good idea with laptop and it seems it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom