Large and Slow TV Recording Files (1 Viewer)

shanewho

Portal Member
February 18, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
TV-Server Version: Latest (1.0.0.0?)
MediaPortal Version: 1.0.0.0
MediaPortal Skin: Default
Windows Version: XP Media Center Rollup 2 SP 3
CPU Type: VIA 1.2 GHz
HDD: 160GB
Memory: 1GB
Motherboard: Jetway CN700-8237
Video Card: Integrated VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP
Video Card Driver: Latest
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Hauppauge HVR-1600
1. TV Card Type: NTSC
1. TV Card Driver: Latest
MPEG2 Video Codec: Hauppauge
MPEG2 Audio Codec: Hauppauge
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

As you can see from my specs, my hardware isn't very powerful. However, if I download a TV show from the internet, I can usually play it just fine in media portal. But I seem to have a very hard time playing files recorded from the TV Server. For example, a 45 minute tv show I download from the internet is about 350mb and uses about 50% of my CPU to watch. A video file recorded from my Analog Cable TV is much larger, and uses 100% of my CPU to watch after it has been recorded (which basically locks up Media Portal). Is it possible to make the TV server create smaller or different type of file that would take less CPU to play back? Will a different decoder make any difference? Any other ideas?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Integrated VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP

I am surprised you even managed to get MP to load, let alone play anything, that by far is the biggest problem you have.

It's the bitrate the files are recorded at that makes the difference.

You would be far better off getting a cheap graphics card thats DX9 compatible, preferably with 256mb of ram

:sorry:

shanewho

Portal Member
    February 18, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Unfortunately, I only have 1 pci slot and it is being used by by tuner (though I think this card is DirectX9 compatible). I just downloaded the Cyberlink PowerDVD 8 trial, and I can watch a 1GB, 1 hour long recording at about 15% CPU. But from within Media Portal, this mpeg doesn't work at all (with the cyberlink decoder or any other decoder I have installed). Is it possible to change the recording bitrate? Any other ideas to make this work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom