Large MKV files slow (1 Viewer)

scotstrength

Portal Member
February 5, 2008
Prague
Hi folks,
I have an annoying issue with large MKV files over 13 or 14 GB. They will start very slowly - audio is fine but it takes up to 7-10 secs for the video to adjust, this also happens when i skip forward.
I currently have windows 7 32bit, and the most up to date SAF 5 pack.
I was running XP which had absolutely no problems with this whatsoever but i was getting horrendous lip sync issues in live tv (another story)
The file plays fine itself in graphedit so i have to assume it has something to do with the codecs are configured in media portal.
Can anyone shed any light on this topic?

Cheers.

miroslav22

Development Group Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 4, 2009
    Warwick
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Are you streaming the files from a network drive? If so try temporarily copying a file to the local machine and play it from there to see if it still happens

scotstrength

Portal Member
    February 5, 2008
    Prague
    No this is a single seat install, one main pc with 3 HDD everything coming from the one machine.
    To be honest i am about to throw in the towel, i just can't seem to get MP working without some issues. I had it working well once back in 0. days but lately there is always something.
    I just noticed that now my live tv will play normal for 5 or 6 secs and then slow done for 3 or 4 then back to normal again.
    It just seems to be a constant battle of checking, re-installing, uninstalling, head scratching, forum searching and then just bewilderment!!
    I love the system but just can't get over the little glitches especially when trying to keep the wife happy :mad:
    Anyhow, tomorrow i am going to try and attach some logs and graph edit screen shots as well.
    Will also disable epg grabbing and play around with time shifting to check on live tv play.
    Wish me luck!

Cheers

miroslav22

Development Group Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 4, 2009
    Warwick
    Home Country
    Personally I wouldn't recommend SAF - have you tried removing it?

If not i'd try removing it completely and then installing Haali media splitter and try playback of the MKV files with the Microsoft DTV decoder.

Salem

Portal Pro
    March 10, 2008
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Home Country
    Personally I wouldn't recommend SAF - have you tried removing it?

If not i'd try removing it completely and then installing Haali media splitter and try playback of the MKV files with the Microsoft DTV decoder.

YEah, neither would I. SAF seriously messed up my system! Will never use it again, even though many here recommend it.

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia

scotstrength

Portal Member
    February 5, 2008
    Prague
    Hi guys,
    Thanks for all the advice yet again :D
    I just purchased a new graphics card (ATI 5450) and a new tv card as well (Asus PS3-100) and hope to improve the tv reception and video out quality as well.
    As far as the SAF pack goes, i will indeed uninstall and go for an MPC + Haali to see if that improves some of my issues.
    I noticed that when i had chosen ffdshow as the audio device on live tv that the audio was then out of sync, changing back to the built in microsoft codec corrected that however.
    I think it is a case of sitting down for a good 4-6 hours and just going through every set up possibility along with reinstalling and updating as i go.
    Unfortunately setting aside that amount of time in one go can be difficult.
    Thanks again and i will endeavour to update this post with my findings.

Cheers

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    what splitter works with the Microsoft DTV codecs for MKV?

ive never seen it work on my system ever on win 64bit

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom