Launch a program after new movie import completes (1 Viewer)

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi, Just wondering if it is possible to launch a program after an import run has finished and pulled in new movies.

I wrote a program that converts US MPAA movie age ratings to UK BBFC standard here. It works fine but it becomes a chore having to keep manually launching it. I want to rewrite it so it can be launched and run silently with preconfigured conversions and was hoping there would be a way to do this after an import so the whole process could be made automated?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    Cool thanks. I guess I would have to create my app as a service and let it sit listening. Little bit beyond my skills at the moment but I could have a go I suppose!

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Cool thanks. I guess I would have to create my app as a service and let it sit listening. Little bit beyond my skills at the moment but I could have a go I suppose!

Why don't you modify the scraper-script you use to import your movies to do the conversion then? No other system is needed then, it either gets done right during initial import, or if ratings are missing then, an online refresh of details inside MovPic will fix it then as well.

IMDb+ already had build in support for all the English speaking countries rating systems (USA, Canada, UK, AU and NZ).

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    I still use imdb+.. I have the UK ratings option enabled but sometimes I end up with US. Does it actively convert the rating when a UK one doesn't exist? I seem to remember a discussion that sometimes imdb doesn't present a UK rating for scraping so it would grab the US.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I still use imdb+.. I have the UK ratings option enabled but sometimes I end up with US. Does it actively convert the rating when a UK one doesn't exist? I seem to remember a discussion that sometimes imdb doesn't present a UK rating for scraping so it would grab the US.

My appologies, seems I only did the forced-rating-conversion for Spanish, French and Italian, and I was sure I had it in place for UK as well. Am working on other fixes, so I can add it for UK then.

Does this work for you?

G -> U
    PG -> PG
    PG-13 -> 12
    R -> 15
    NC-17 -> 18
    X -> R18​

So 12A will never be used, unless you prefer that for PG-13, not sure what the common usage in UK is on that.

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    My appologies, seems I only did the forced-rating-conversion for Spanish, French and Italian, and I was sure I had it in place for UK as well. Am working on other fixes, so I can add it for UK then.

Does this work for you?

G -> U
    PG -> PG
    PG-13 -> 12
    R -> 15
    NC-17 -> 18
    X -> R18​

So 12A will never be used, unless you prefer that for PG-13, not sure what the common usage in UK is on that.

Hey Rochess, thanks. I actually force everything PG-13 to 12A. In the UK the rating '12' does not exist in cinemas, it is only used for home movie release. Me personally, I would prefer to have nothing 12 and everything 12A.

But yes other than that your list looks good! They do not exactly relate as there is some overlap in the UK/US ratings, does your plugin first try to get the UK rating and if none exists then it performs a conversion? Or does it perform the conversion regardless?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom