LAV and bitstreaming not working... (1 Viewer)

mikeyp

Portal Member
August 23, 2015
Leicester
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to MediaPortal so am just getting my head around it. I used Win MediaCentre for years, not brilliant but it worked. Along came Windows 10 and forced me to move. Struggled with reliability of MP 1.12 and Windows 10. Restored back to Windows 8.1. Anyway, having got most things sorted I'm now debugging and trying to get the last few bits together. I'm onto surround sound.

MediaPortal for whatever reason insists on playing back all my audio as PCM when using the LAV filters. I've ticked the bistreaming selections for DD and DTS but with no joy. If I select the Microsoft codecs in MP left over from Media Centre, I get DD and bistreaming works fine. VLC bitreams fine too, so I know it's not a hardware issue..

My current setup is as follows.

Windows 8.1 Pro with MCE (MCE is disabled now)
Intel Core i5
16GB RAM
SSD/HDD/DVD drives etc etc.
VIA HD Audio connected via Optical SPDIF/TosLink to a Denon AVR-3805.

Please help me sort out the LAV filters to get them doing what they should and pass through the DD/DTS streams instead of decoding them for me. My logs are attached.

Thank you in advance.
If any other info is needed, just let me know.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome :)

Please post a screenshot of the LAV audio codec settings.

mikeyp

Portal Member
    August 23, 2015
    Leicester
    Home Country
    Here you go, there are 2 attached. You prompted me to look and purely by chance I used a different administrator account. My config was gone. Print screen it and then logged back on as michael for comparison. My config is still there.

It appears that the LAV filters config is stored in the local user, not system wide.

As such, I can't configure my "mediacentre" account as it doesn't have admin rights. (I'm not leaving something logged in all the time unless it's relatively secure)

I'll try elevating the mediacentre account temporarily so I can get into MediaPortal Config, see what happens and report back in a few minutes.

Attachments

• logon-michael.jpg
      logon-michael.jpg
      56.9 KB
    • logon-administrator.jpg
      logon-administrator.jpg
      57.1 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It appears that the LAV filters config is stored in the local user, not system wide.
    Correct.
    So, you need to set your LAV configuration appropriately for the Windows account that you're using to run MediaPortal. Note that you can set the LAV configuration outside of MediaPortal configuration using the start menu shortcuts installed by the LAV Filters installer.

mikeyp

Portal Member
    August 23, 2015
    Leicester
    Home Country
    Confirmed!

My "MediaCentre" user did indeed still have the default LAV config and once given admin rights, was able to enter the LAV Config, ticked the bitstreaming options and all is now working as it should.

Anyone mind if this little piece of info is put in the wiki? It would have saved me hours!

(It didn't help that my 1 year old daughter had got hold of the remove and changed the amp from auto to pcm, but I figured that one out before my OP!)

Thank you mm1352000 for your quick replies.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Anyone mind if this little piece of info is put in the wiki? It would have saved me hours!
    Where would you put it? Lots of people that use MediaPortal do also use the LAV codecs... but really the LAV codecs are 3rd party software, so it isn't really our responsibility to provide documentation for them...

mikeyp

Portal Member
    August 23, 2015
    Leicester
    Home Country
    Fair, I only mentioned it because the wiki pages told me everything I needed except that tidbit.

I would probably put something at the top of the pages linked below, something along the lines of:
    Although MediaPortal config is applied to all users, the LAV Audio Configuration is set for only the current user. If you use a non-administrator account for MediaPortal and have to enter administrator credentials to start MediaPortal Config, you will need to configure the LAV audio filters by going to Start>All Programs>LAV Filters>LAV Audio Configuration to configure the settings for the current user.

I would put a note at the top of this page here:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...3_Plugins/LAV_Filters/LAV_Audio_Configuration
    The same page is also here:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...rer/LAV_Configuration/LAV_Audio_Configuration

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom