[solved] LAV audio over HDMI not working until I pause then continue a video (3 Viewers)

Statick

Portal Pro
December 25, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Update: more info added here LAV audio over HDMI not working until I pause then continue a video

Hi I've just built a new HTPC, clean install of Windows 10 Pro on an Asrock H270M ITX board with Intel Pentium G4600 and 8GB ram, and MP2
Got LAV filters set up and configured and everything works and plays fine if I select the Realtek audio device, and I connect my sound system to the audio jack. No problems there.

But what I want is to send the audio over the HDMI, I'm not fussed about bitstreaming I just want the convenience of only having to switch the input on one device. Currently I cannot get any sound from videos to come out over the HDMI. Ordinary MP button beeps are working fine. I'm certain it's something in my LAV audio config, in particular that my TV only supports 16-bit stereo audio, and I'm guessing that any attempt to send something other than 16-bit stereo audio will fail. But I've tried just about everything and none of the settings I've picked have yet worked. It looks like I should be forcing all audio to be sent to the HDMI audio device as 16-bit, downmixed to stereo (the videos I'm watching are mostly surround sound), but instead I get nothing.

In the MP codecs section, I have "LAV Audio Decoder" set on all formats, and I've tried both "default directsound" and specifically "HDMI audio" for the renderer (with the HDMI device being selected as default in Windows). I've checked that nothing is muted - audio in MP is turned up, the volume on the HDMI audio device is turned up, and nothing is muted (and I can hear the MP button beeps over the HDMI, it's just the video playback that fails). Again, this all works absolutely fine if I switch everything to the Realtek audio jack and hook up my sound system that way, so in terms of ordinary playback my system seems to be working. If anyone can spot where I'm going wrong, it would be appreciated!

My HDMI audio device properties:

2017-08-01_125814.png

My LAV audio config pages:
2017-08-01_125920.png

2017-08-01_125947.png

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Tick the bit streaming formats (Dolby Digital, etc.) in LAV and try again.

Statick

Portal Pro
    December 25, 2008
    Home Country
    Thanks - still the same. The videos I'm watching have AAC audio which isn't an option in bitstreaming, could that be why?

Statick

Portal Pro
    December 25, 2008
    Home Country
    yes, it's set as the default there, and regardless of whether I select "default directsound device" or specifically the HDMI audio device in MP, the result is the same.
    If I go back and set the default device to be the headphone jack (realtek audio) then playback works fine.

and the MP button beeps do work over the HDMI when I have it selected, it's just the video playback that fails, which leads me to think my problem is in the LAV audio codec settings (and that there's something about the HDMI on my TV that doesn't like the current codec settings)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Did you verify the audio mixer while MP is running and that sound on the selected device is not by chance muted or reduced to low levels?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    OK, the fact that analogue is working doesn't mean anything for digital output, which applies in case of HDMI connections. I suspect that the drivers are missing or wrong then. You could check if the latest Realtek drives for the audio hardware or at least the official Asus drivers for this mobo is installed.

EDIT: Actually I would suggest that you run the Intel hardware checker to see if there is any updated driver available, both for audio and graphics.

Statick

Portal Pro
    December 25, 2008
    Home Country
    yeah I did that already - it is a new build, and at first I was running off the default drivers that came through from windows update, which turned out to be a year out of date. the first thing I tried when I realised I had sound problems (and this was even before I tried the realtek audio jack and discovered that that at least worked) was I downloaded and ran the Intel driver updater, so it's now got the latest Intel drivers for the HD 630 graphics and the HDMI audio (and the H270 chipset and everything else on there haha)

again, the MP button beeps work fine over the HDMI, so there's definitely audio happening there. it's just not coming through from video playback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom