Codecs Lav filters now support DXVA2 (3 Viewers)

Spooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2005
    void 4tl
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Correction on deinterlacing: DXVA(2) only handles the actual decoding of the video, not the deinterlacing as well ( http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1553694#post1553694 ). Hardware deinterlacing is then handled through the driver by using EVR or VMR ( http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1553690#post1553690 ). There is no difference in quality for deinterlacing between CUVID and DXVA/EVR, at least in theory ( http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1551258#post1551258 ).

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well there most certainly is a difference in MediaPortal with a GT 430. Perhaps it's due to the MediaPortal's EVR implementation?

Spooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2005
    void 4tl
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hard to say. There is simply less control over what happens with the video, when you use DXVA. I can't compare CUVID vs. DXVA, but I do have some other problems with LAV. For instance, on a 1080i TV channel, I only get 25p output when using LAV with DXVA and with MS DTV/DVD I get proper 50p output with DXVA.

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    Nev has found the problem - if you have YADIF deinterlacing ticked in the LAV Video Configuration window, the stream gets sent to MediaPortal as 25p (which is wrong). Apparently unticking this will fix the problem and should give 50p playback with the highest quality deinterlacing possible (as with CUVID) but I haven't had a chance to test it yet!

Spooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2005
    void 4tl
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Nev has found the problem - if you have YADIF deinterlacing ticked in the LAV Video Configuration window, the stream gets sent to MediaPortal as 25p (which is wrong). Apparently unticking this will fix the problem and should give 50p playback with the highest quality deinterlacing possible (as with CUVID) but I haven't had a chance to test it yet!
    Oh, very nice, thx :). Wanted to ask Nev about it myself, but was too lazy so far :D. Will test it when I get back home.

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    Also, that bug with the YADIF option and a MBAFF decoding bug will be fixed in 0.49, which means that the BBC HD channels no longer go crazy every now and then (according to my brief tests with a test build). :D

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    As an aside, if you want to use HW deinterlacing (with EVR) and software decoding, force the decoder output format to be NV12 (or NV21) i.e. untick the other options (works for LAV and FFDShow). This is basically what happens automatically with DXVA - unless you overide it ;)

Tony

somy

Portal Pro
    March 7, 2010
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Also, that bug with the YADIF option and a MBAFF decoding bug will be fixed in 0.49, which means that the BBC HD channels no longer go crazy every now and then (according to my brief tests with a test build). :D
    Hi DragonQ,

Could you please explain this bug in more details? Recently I'm having problem to watch all interlaced HD channels, they got freezing everything noun and then, and I have LAV 0.48 with DXVA CB, RGB as output, and YADIF enabled. This issue is gone when I use hardware deinterlacing. Do you know if my issue it related to this bug?? Thanks a lot in advance!

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    If you have YADIF ticked in 0.48 and are using DXVA2 output, the video will be sent to the renderer as progressive (a bug) so it'll have no/poor deinterlacing and will play at 25 fps instead of 50 fps. If unticking YADIF fixes the problem for you, then it should work fine in 0.49 when it's released. Disabling YADIF fixes the bug but having it ticked would be nice so that files that DXVA2 cannot handle are deinterlaced by YADIF. This will be possible in 0.49.

Also, DXVA2 Native will always output as NV12 and never actually use software deinterlacing, according to Nev:

nevcairiel said:
    DXVA2 in "native" mode will always output NV12, and never use YADIF, there is no way around it.
    smile.gif

Not sure about Copy Back, maybe you should ask him.

somy

Portal Pro
    March 7, 2010
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi DragonQ,

Thanks for the reply!
    Ok, then it is not the same issue. I'm not using DXVA2 because I'd like LAV to do NV12->RGB conversion (another poor ATI user). As a result, I have to bypass hardware deinterlacing, so I enabled YADIF which introduced the problem I mentioned in my post......

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom