MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2005
    void 4tl
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    any progress?
    Progress on what?

hoborg integrated lav in saf. what does it mean?
    Hoborg has included LAV in SAF for a long time now. It means that you can also select the LAV codecs, if you want to, after installing SAF.

what should i take? Im viewing hd videos.
    The most basic installation nowadays would be to simply install LAV and nothing else, and then use MS DTV/DVD video codec for LiveTV and DVD, LAV (audio & video) for the rest, basically. If you experience any issues, you'd need to look further into it of course.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    LAV installs\uninstalls cleanly, so that would be my first choice if you are a Nvidia graphics card user, just enable the necessary audio inside the Start menu\Lav filters\Lav audio, and Cuvid in Lav video section.

Intel QuickSync and DXVA2 is supported in the latest LAV releases, so other GPU users can also benefit if they wish.

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    LAV Filters should be enough for all video and audio in MediaPortal (it even works with the weird LATM AAC used by Freeview HD channels in the UK).

Personally, I have ffdshow handle audio simply because I have no external speakers or AV receiver and my TV is too quiet for some films, so I need its dynamic range compression and volume options. LAV Filters is going to include an audio mixer at some point but Nev has said he's not going to have dynamic range compression or volume controls (I think he said that should be handled by the renderer).

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    I don't use ffdshow any more. LAV Filters has had a mixer since 0.51 (current version is 0.51.3) and it works great for me. In fact, it works better than my previous ffdshow configuration since my SD and HD channels are now largely the same volume. My settings are below:

LAV%20Audio%201.png

LAV%20Audio%202.png

Using "Normalize Matrix" instead of "Clipping Protection" is better if you have a proper amplifier that doesn't struggle with quiet input because it'll make sure no clipping occurs when mixing. "Clipping Protection" instead just mixes and hopes there's no clipping, and if there is it'll reduce the volume to compensate in real-time. Not ideal but for built-in TV speakers it works great and I haven't noticed any volume reductions yet so I guess clipping from downmixing without proper normalisation is rare. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom