LCD or VFD display on PC? (1 Viewer)

alexeix

Portal Pro
January 28, 2005
UK
Hi,

Is anyone running Media Portal on a PC with a mini-display on the front?

I've seen this hardware feature on at least one high end MCE2005 machine, so I'm curious if anyone here has added such a display to their Media Portal PC.

The PC I saw featured a mini-display (hi-res) on the front, which reflected what was on the monitor, so if the user was listening to music, they wouldn't need the TV/monitor to be switched on, in order to browse their playlists, select readio stations, etc.

It'd be nice to have and I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be possible to use with Media Portal - anyone have any thoughts on this?
Thanks.

ohdarklord

Portal Pro
December 31, 2005
Scotland
Home Country
Scotland Scotland
do you mean LCDs like this one
fma_aria.jpg

They sould like a nice idea at first especially if they are touchscreen ones but ive heard most people that get them dont use them after a few months, i think their more of a gimmick

If you really want one then heres a guide on how to get a 6" lcd to work with your computer and theres no reason it should work with media portal.

http://casemodgod.com/new_page_35.htm

CHli

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Switzerland
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
The Thread I pointed is for character mode LCD / VFD included E.G. in Silverstone LC11m case. + Monochrome LCD E.G. 240x160 pixels.

The case with intergrated Touchpad LCD are nothing else than a LCD monitor which work like a second screen. The only problem with that is that MP doesn't support Dual Screen very well at the moment. So you will be only be able to use one at a time I think. (TV or Touchscreen LCD)

alexeix

Portal Pro
January 28, 2005
UK
That would be fine; no point having both on at the same time - save energy.

Shame that I've been checking, and the price of those cases in the UK, is roughly the same in GBP as the USD price, so instead of $500, it's £500!!!

That rules it out for me, for now. Shame.

keith2045

Portal Pro
February 16, 2006
Missouri
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I've seen these around, but what is the point of them? They dont replace your regular display, do they? I just dont really see the point in them.

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    They dont replace your regular display, do they? I just dont really see the point in them.

In my setup, my display is a large (2 metres) DLP front projector for watching TV, videos and DVDs. But, if I only want to listen to music, or the radio, then it is combersome and wasteful to fire up the "beamer" just to enable me to navigate the MediaPortal music or radio menus.

Having a smaller built-in display for the sole purpose of menu navigation would be ideal. It would also be ideal if the small display could be turned off (automagically) when the main display is powered on....:D

So, you are correct - they don't replace the regular display, but they could be very useful in the (many) times that you don't want to, or don't need to, fire up that large main display...

knutinh

Portal Pro
    September 4, 2005
    In my setup, my display is a large (2 metres) DLP front projector for watching TV, videos and DVDs. But, if I only want to listen to music, or the radio, then it is combersome and wasteful to fire up the "beamer" just to enable me to navigate the MediaPortal music or radio menus.

Having a smaller built-in display for the sole purpose of menu navigation would be ideal. It would also be ideal if the small display could be turned off (automagically) when the main display is powered on....:D

So, you are correct - they don't replace the regular display, but they could be very useful in the (many) times that you don't want to, or don't need to, fire up that large main display...

Why not use a PDA wlan remote control instead for music playback?

There are currently two projects on this in the forum, but they are quite early in the development.

-k

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom