LCD support (2 Viewers)

lugiber

Portal Pro
August 3, 2004
Sweden
Thanks for showing interest in writing the plugin!
What i would like the lcd plugin to do is to show menu info by default and when you play movies/audio the media info should show up as well. I like your idea about only showing menus while they are being used and show media info when they are not. It would be really sweet to have that feature. Would it be possible to implement a config file?
I wish i could give you some info about the more technical aspects of writing the plugin but i am sure that someone will help you on that departement.

/Peter

A

Anonymous

lugiber said:
Would it be possible to implement a config file?
What I would probably do is to completely transfer my Meedio plugin to MediaPortal. It comes with a Screen Manager, which manages a stack of different screens and makes sure that everything is displayed at the defined time.
It also comes with a Screen Designer, which enables the user to configure different screens: What is shown, which events create a particular screen and bring it to LCD, where to put this screen on the stack, which event destroys a screen...
But to do so, the LCD plugin has to receive something to display.

I don't think there's something like a standardized message system in MediaPortal, so either such a system has to be implemented, or MediaPortal and the plugins have to talk directly to the LCD plugin.

But since the number of answers to the questions in my first post were really overwhelming, I believe neither the plugin programmers nor the MediaPortal programmers are in urgent need of such a plugin.

devo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 2, 2004
    Canada
    I see the LCD plugin you code to have an interface or events that plugin developers can implement that would send messages to the LCD.

A

Anonymous

HdWagner said:
    lugiber said:
    But since the number of answers to the questions in my first post were really overwhelming, I believe neither the plugin programmers nor the MediaPortal programmers are in urgent need of such a plugin.

If there is something you guys want you should really jump on something like this and let ppl that do the hard work know it is appriciated. If you don't post your opinion then what is the point in putting in the work? Since I don't have a lcd on my htpc I don't feel the urge to jump on this other then if it is done it would make MP a better application. And regarding the remarks about MP and that it is just a mediaplayer that is far from the truth, if you tried MP several months ago then you tried it when it was a new born baby. This is open source and that means changes are done on a daily basis. I use Media Portal with ONLY my remote and there are no issues with that what so ever.

Anyway, if this is something you guys need, post a reply now ;)

A

Anonymous

HdWagner said:

I'm very interested in LCD support. For those of us using a projector as screen it would be nice to be able to, for example, play some music without having to turn on the projector.

HdWagner said:
    I don't think there's something like a standardized message system in MediaPortal, so either such a system has to be implemented...

A standardized message system in MediaPortal would be very nice not only for LCD support, but also for all kinds of plugin development. I could think of a couple of plugins where it would be nice and I'm sure the community would come up with many many more. If you then also had a standardized plugin to MediaPortal message system you could start creating some really cool plugins (like a complete web-interface like the one being developed for the Xbox MediaCenter) 8)

This is of course just my small thoughts. I have great respect for the developers limited time and understand that there are hundreds of features they choose from to implement (not to talk about correcting bugs).

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    Ok all.

I made a poll to see how big the interest in this feature is. This thread has 1.250 views, so I think a certain interest is there, but maybe it is not on high prio.

Here: http://nolanparty.com/mediaportal.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1550

Please vote if you are interested in LCD support and vote also if you are not interested.

Second, please post here or there if and what LCD you have, because if this plugin will be developped, we will need some testers.

tomtom21000

lugiber

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2004
    Sweden
    I would be happy to test the lcd plugin, i have two ("no name") lcd displays. One is graphical and based on the KS0108B circuit (128x64 pixels). The other is based on the controller HD44780 (4 rows x 20 characters).

/Peter

A

Anonymous

Me too. I have a VLsystem L.I.S 2 display. Are you planning output to girder or directly to the displays (or both)?

A

Anonymous

RatRagout said:
    Me too. I have a VLsystem L.I.S 2 display. Are you planning output to girder or directly to the displays (or both)?
    Hey, Girder is a remote control software! I wonder why ppl always want this poor program to do everything they can imagine.

But yes. Although Girder is one of the most complicated softwares to interface an LCD, it will be supported.

It would be impossible to support every upcoming graphic and character display and the users of *whichsoftwareever* would be disappointed, so I decided to support
    - jaLCDs
    - Girder
    - LCDC
    - LCDInfo
    - LCDHype
    - Smartie

Schrauber

Portal Pro
    April 22, 2004
    Germany
    I mentioned a way to go before:

Simply put all the data needed in a shared memory segment. Or send out by window messages. So plugins for each software can easily be written. I could write a plugin for LCDHype.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom