Leap Motion integration (1 Viewer)

downlinx

Portal Member
March 11, 2010
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Starting next year there will be a new product on the market for using your hands and fingers as a remote. It is called the Leap Motion. I am wondering if this will be something we will have to write into MediaPortal as it is basically the same thing as the kinect.
[URL]http://live.leapmotion.com/about.html[/url]
Say goodbye to your mouse and keyboard.

Leap represents an entirely new way to interact with your computers. It’s more accurate than a mouse, as reliable as a keyboard and more sensitive than a touchscreen. For the first time, you can control a computer in three dimensions with your natural hand and finger movements.
This isn’t a game system that roughly maps your hand movements. The Leap technology is 200 times more accurate than anything else on the market — at any price point. Just about the size of a flash drive, the Leap can distinguish your individual fingers and track your movements down to a 1/100th of a millimeter.
This is like day one of the mouse. Except, no one needs an instruction manual for their hands.

about_04.jpg

img-about-us2.jpg
Get ready, get set, go.

We asked one simple question: ‘What feels natural?’. Using a Leap is easy. And the next thing you know, a swipe in the air leads to a swipe of the page. So that nice LED display remains clean and untouched, as it should be.
Setup is just as intuitive. Plug the LEAP into a USB port. Load the Leap Motion software. Do a quick wave to calibrate. That’s it.
In minutes, you’ll be able to interact with your desktop using natural hand and finger movements.

It sounds too good to be true, we know. But, that’s what we specialize in around here.

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I am getting one of these to play around with. I need to see what the supplied software actually can do or if there is an API. I want to use it for something different for some Studio stuff for a friend where using a mouse/keyboard is often a problem as the hands are occupied. Some gestures would sove this. I failed with the Kinect as it not accurate enough for such stuff as it was simply not designed for it.

If it works nicely and integration into some software is straight forward (depending what their software or APIs offer) a MP plugin should quickly surface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom