Leaving TV Server on 100% of the time (1 Viewer)

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi All,

This is probably a very dull question :) but I am trying to get the feeling for how many people leave their dedicated TV Server on 100% of the time.

I already have a very low power file server always on and the TV Server is woken up using WOL when a client needs it. However, leaving the TV Server on 100% of the time would be much more preferable so that I could dial in to set recordings, watch programs remotely etc.

The TV Server also acts like a streaming server for MP Extended so having it on all the time would save people having to wake it up.

What is the best way to work out the cost of running this machine all the time?

Thanks

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    I run mine 24x7 because current unit does not support WOL:(

Being able to set recording schedule whenever I like is handy, but if I had option, I'd have machine scheduled to start/stop at specific times + WOL as ideal.

Cost - if you have access, a power meter, check usage idle & busy, guestimate the ratio do the sums.

Cheers - J.

Atomic7431

Portal Pro
    June 17, 2011
    Home Country
    i have mine on 24/7 just so I don`t have to try and get it to wake up for various things and then have the possibility of it failing to wake and missing something the wife really wanted to see. Just seems a step that is not needed, but I am sure everyone has different opinions.

4Fred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2005
    Jönköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    My machine runs all the time.
    Recordings runs at night (NHL) and I have them on in the background at work during the day using mpextended/webmediaportal.
    The machine also maintain my dynamic ip to DNS config and other stuff so turning it off is not an option...

SurferSan

March 16, 2012
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    It seems such a waste of money and electricity to run a machine 24 hours a day just to record or watch 30 or so hours a week.

My server uses about 25 watts and the cable box sucks up an additional 17 watts. So I use PowerScheduler++ to hibernate the server unless watching or recording. When PowerScheduler++ triggers hibernation, the power to the cable box is also cut using a USB controlled power strip. That leaves the server running in hibernation mode using less than 2 watts. PowerScheduler++ is set to wake up about 4 minutes prior to recording, giving the STB time to boot up and initialize.

Very reliable, haven't missed a recording yet and am saving about $7 month in electric charges. Not a wad of money but over time it adds up and saves about 368 kilowatt hours per year.

hafblade

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2011
    Trier, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I also shut it down to hibernate. For me it is a waste when it is running idle. I use Argustv and don't need any customizing. I've got only one speciality. I run Eventghost on the htpc with Webserver plugin and tcp server which can receive commands to stay awake. With this I can say my htpc from my smartphone, from my pcs and even by a webpage in my lan that my htpc should not shutdown. So I have the possibility to work with it like with a 24/7 server without wasting energy. :) Oh and I'll never miss recording because the htpc starts early enough for recordings.

Atomic7431

Portal Pro
    June 17, 2011
    Home Country
    maybe i should look at power scheduler again as the last time i looked it was quite buggy, but i guess this is not the case now from the above reports.

edit footy about to start, come on england!! (Shame about our injury list).

Last edited:

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    Thanks everyone.

My mind is made up. I think I am happy with my current setup:

Fileserver (HP proliant microserver running win8) on all the time. This serves all my media and files throughout the house. This is low power and as well as running backups and downloads over night it also runs the no-ip.org app to keep my free dns working, plus it also runs teldus for controlling my lights + home automation. I also run Plex server from here for sending music and films to various other devices. I can wake up the TV Server from this machine if I am away from home.

TVServer I will continue to wake this up when needed using WOL Power Manager. I currently have it setup so that the client wakes the TVServer if someone clicks on Live TV within MP. The TV Server also runs mpextended for watching TV via aMPdroid or WebMeidaPortal

Thanks again

Last edited:

4Fred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2005
    Jönköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Why not move the tvserver stuff to the filserver and use current tvserver as MePo client?
    I had my setup like you have now but consolidated everything to one machine two years ago and have had no poblems with it, I even use that machine as MePo client.

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    There are two main reasons for keeping them separate:

1. All the aerial and sat points are in the living room so I don't want a huge server in there.

2. I want the fileserver to be super reliable as it mustn't ever go down. Therefore I avoid running too much software on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom