Lip sync problem on recording (1 Viewer)

gloomyandy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,
    I have a question about a problem I'm seeing. From time to time I see two types of problems with lip sync when watching tv. All of this is with a dvb-t source using Hauppauge hardware (I have a HVR-1300 card and a Nova T Stick), and with the latest and recent svn builds...

1. Sometimes when I turn on live tv. The picture turns on and the sound is in sync. Then almost straight away there is a major stutter and then things carry on, however now the sound is out of sync. Switching channels usually fixes this.

2. From time to time I have recordings which also have lip sync problems. But this time there seems to be no way to get rid of it (I think it is in the recording). Stopping an starting does not work and no matter what I do the problem seems to always be there.

So the questions...

1. Does anyone else see these issues?
    2. For problem 2 is this anything to do with mp? I thought that when recording from a dvb-t source mp simply grabbed the stream (with both the video and audio in it), if this is the case I don't really see how mp could be introducing the problem...
    3. Would the new TV server have any impact on these types of problem? I don't think I can switch yet because I like to use powerscheduler and other stuff, but maybe it would be worth a try!

All the best

Andy

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    In almost every case of TV Sync issues, the answer is to change the sound processor to "Default DirectSound Device".
    It used to be only possible to do this in MP/Settings/TV but now you can also do it in the TV section of MP config.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Why is there even an option for other renderers in TV? Anybody using somthing else? If so; what are the benefits?

gloomyandy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2006
    Home Country
    Hi Folks,
    Thanks for the replies. I already had my audio render device set to he default direct show device. Any other thoughts? My system has a realtek sound device anyone know of any current issues with these?

Andy

gloomyandy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2006
    Home Country
    Hi,
    Thanks for the pointer. I'm not really looking for a "fix" for these problems as such. The problems I've been seeing have been with recent svns and I'm trying to narrow things down before posting a problem report in the quality control forum. I was more looking for some background information before posting that. In particular I wanted to understand if it is possible/likely for the streams in a recording to get out of sync or if they are effectively bound together as part of the broadcast stream. The sync problems I see with recorded shows is 100% reproducible (and moving the file to other systems and playing it with WMP I see the same problem) so I'm pretty sure the sync problem is in the recorded file. Also I'm aware that there is a lot of development going on with the new TV server and wanted to get a feel for how this may impact these sorts of issues.

Andy

Vasek

Portal Member
    December 13, 2006
    Liberec
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Hi Andy,
    I'm new to MP with very similar HTPC (hauppage 1300, Realtek audio). I've got similar problems with analog signal (we don't have DVB-T yet), however haupp1300 has hardware encoder, so it should do the same job as you questioned. Stuting vanished when I even for a short while pause the live tv (timeshift), however it not good solution. Do you have something new after these months? My idea is that MP is running video little bit faster then it is recieved and after some time there is nothing to play, so it starts to stut and looses sound.

gloomyandy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2006
    Home Country
    Hi Vasek,
    Thanks for the info. I'm afraid I have no solution for you but what you are seeing does sound similar o the problems have been seeing. Could I ask you for more details? For me what happens is that when I turn on the TV the channel is tuned in fine and the video and sound is in sync. Then after a few seconds there is a cople od stutters, after that the video and sound play ok (no more stutters), however they are not in sync. Is this what happens for you? I can fix the problem either by changing channels (which I guess would not make any difference for you), or by pausing the live tv, for a very short time. After that everything is fine, even if I skip forward to get back to "real time" the sound and video continue to be in sync.

All the best

Andy

Vasek

Portal Member
    December 13, 2006
    Liberec
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Hi,
    yes, it's very similar to yours case, the only difference I'm not loosing sync, just stutter goes worse and worse. Pausing also helps.
    On Tuesday I reinstalled whole Windows because of some driver problems and BSOD. Yesterday I tried to run the TV whole night (I went to sleep however :=)) and today in the morning it was OK. So I don't know... I will come back if I have something new.
    Because of MP requiring admin rights for timeshifting I'd like to try TV server (running as the service it could have admin right even when user has limited rights). TV server could also influence this problem.

Good luck!

Vasek

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom