"Lite" GUI/Skin/OSD (1 Viewer)

LastMar

Portal Pro
November 17, 2004
It would be nice to have the option of a "lite" GUI for MP that doesn't kill your CPU, for those of us with.... less than powerful pc's. I'm especially thinking about a few key choke points, such as the program guide, and the OSD for full-screen video (can't use VMR9 due to having win2k).

However, I realize that most of our problems stem from running MP on a machine that's WAY below the minimum system requirements (celeron 700, software encoding hauppauge wintv-usb knockoff, etc).... still though, a slimmer GUI would be desirable to a lot of people, who care more about functionality than eyecandy.

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    every program has system specs, so doees MP.
    We won't be makig alite version as believe me when this lite version is out people will even want a lighter version.

Mp is what it is now and it will be going down this same road.

if your system is under specs, buy new hardware or use a different application.

We will and are looking @ making MP smoother and use less CPU.
    However, this is not done in 1 day and needs time.
    As you can see on this forum, many people want a load of feaures and we r trying to keep as many people happy by deviding the time we have to several issues.

LastMar

Portal Pro
    November 17, 2004
    I'm mainly talking about the ability to turn off certain features, such as transparency and animations (these can already be turned off, I know), and other nonessential things.

Anyway, it's just a thought. Most of the CPU reduction will obviously be accomplished through more streamlined code, better ways of accessing data, etc...

At any rate, it seems to me that it wouldn't be hard at all for someone out there who is a decent programmer, to write an "alternate" GUI that does all of what MP does anyway, without hogging up resources. Maybe something with no "skinning", that just uses plain ol' Windows... buttons and such that you can click to choose Live TV, scheduling, etc. Heck, you could even make it full-screen and give it a nice big font so that you could use it on a TV from across the room. Think in terms of one of the TV tuning programs that come with most TV tuner cards... that have no features, no program guide, no nice, neat channel names, maybe manual recording but not much else. Now, think of that with a channel guide, timeshifting, and scheduled recording, along with a video and music player.

However, my humble opinion is that you should focus mainly on core features, and not try to accomodate everyone with unnecessary bells and whistles. This project is free, and open-source. As far as I'm concerned, that means that if someone doesn't like the way something is implemented, they can either fix it, or wait for it to be fixed by someone else and hold their complaints.

My 0.02, sorry if I offend anyone...

high

Administrator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 31, 2004
    Isselburg/NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    MrMario64 said:
    every program has system specs, so doees MP.
    We won't be makig alite version as believe me when this lite version is out people will even want a lighter version.

And ? I think the only thing they want is a "usable" version with less PC-Power needed, not a cut down to the max version. Getting rid of some (useless) dx9 features should do it for most ones. Optional or as a second version can be the way.

MrMario64 said:
    Mp is what it is now and it will be going down this same road. if your system is under specs, buy new hardware or use a different application.

eat or die, yes ? You should take a look in the living rooms where a htpc is used. Most of them arent 3Ghz CPUs with GT6800/x800/9800/5600 and so on. Several users rebuild old pcs @ speeds from 700 to 1500 Mhz cause they are cheap on buy and using, could be cooled down easiliy and noiseless. Not to mention the large group of Matrox G400 users or Gf2 mx with BT969 chips. You cut yourself down with these requirements. Talked to lots of people loving MP as it is installed on their main-pc but throw it out when porting it to the small htpc.

MrMario64 said:
    We will and are looking @ making MP smoother and use less CPU. However, this is not done in 1 day and needs time.
    As you can see on this forum, many people want a load of feaures and we r trying to keep as many people happy by deviding the time we have to several issues.

The question is: Could MP anytime be used on a pc at about 800-1000Mhz with gf2/gf4/g400/9200se/epia or not? That should be the requiered minimum to reach as many users as possible. If its "yes", a lite version isnt needed but if not you really should think about one.
    I never will spend money for hardware just on a nice GUI (and thats the only thing its needed for) and I already told you that its mostly not done with just a new CPU. To buy Sceneo for 49€ or even a hardware-recorder will be cheaper. Is that a solution you like? I wont...

A

Anonymous

The question is: Could MP anytime be used on a pc at about 800-1000Mhz with gf2/gf4/g400/9200se/epia or not? That should be the requiered minimum to reach as many users as possible. If its "yes", a lite version isnt needed but if not you really should think about one.

I believe the answer is pretty much a yes - and with the improvments suggested in v0.2 - I reckon it will be an almost definete yes.

As a side note - I perhaps would like to see one thing change, in a lite kinda way. I think the current size of MP (16MB) is a little large, esp. if you're on a 56k, there could be the option of having a version with only the MCE skin included (cos it's default) and make all the other skins available as additional downloads?

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    yes we wanna make MP smoother.

BUT,
    We will always have minimum specs.
    If your system is under our specs it's NOT our problem.
    And we will NOT make it our problem.

We will ALWAYS have the minimum spec of having a DX9 card.
    If people do not have this is THEIR fault not ours.

So, we will try to get the best performance out of it. But compatibility with DX9 is still needed. If you get CPU issues because the CPU is emulating some DX9 functions for you it's a shame. But nothing we can do about it.

Lethal01

Portal Member
    December 2, 2004
    Whats with the attitude Mario? I know this is just a hobby project, but that does not mean you have to start yelling at users who make an honest featurerequest. Its probably been asked before, but that still doesnt make it right. That attidude just lowered my hopes for this little project by a shedload.

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I'm not yelling.

And where did I say it was not a good feature request?
    But it's just that we do not have to agree on every feature request made.

This is one of those requests we do not agree on.
    If I hurt people by this, then thats a shame.

But again nothing I can do about it.

I re-read my post again and can really not find any yelling.
    Only some words in capitals stressing that word out. Which is NOT yelling.

high

Administrator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 31, 2004
    Isselburg/NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    MrMario64 said:
    If you get CPU issues because the CPU is emulating some DX9 functions for you it's a shame. But nothing we can do about it.

open your eyes Mario, im already using a fx5200 dx9 card. It didnt solve CPU issues with 1400mhz.

As you get tired by user requests we should stop here.
    <MrMario64> I'm getting tired about the minimum system specs discussion

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    potablo,

Your system should work,
    IF there is a bug causing huge CPU usage then that bug should be fixed.
    But it's NOT the solution to make a lighter gui.

The feature request was going on to have a lighter gui for the people with hardware under the specs.
    Thats the thing I am against and we won't do that,

So don't mix these 2 things.

I am not for this feature.
    But I do think MP should run smooth on your system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom