Live DVB Subtitles display incorrectly (1 Viewer)

mortstar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    TV-Server Version: MP1 + svn 22029
    MediaPortal Version: MP1 + svn22029
    MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP v0.6
    Windows Version: Windows XP Pro SP3
    CPU Type: Intel C2D E8200
    HDD: WD 500Gb + WD 640Gb
    Memory: 2x 2Gb Geil Black Dragon
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R
    Video Card: HIS ATi 3870
    Video Card Driver: 8.12
    1. TV Card: BlackGold 6 in 1 BGT3540
    1. TV Card Type: Dual DVB-S & Dual DVB-T
    1. TV Card Driver: 6.0.0.25 (17/07/07)
    2. TV Card: TechniSat SkyStar HD 2
    2. TV Card Type: Single DVB-S2
    2. TV Card Driver: 1.1.0.402 (25/01/08)
    MPEG2 Video Codec: Cyberlink PowerDVD9
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: ac3filter + ffdshow
    h.264 Video Codec: Cyberlink PowerDVD 8 h.264 (TV) + MPC-HC (Video)
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: UK Freesat & UK Freeview
    HTPC Case: Antec Fusion v2 Silver
    Cooling: Scythe Mini Ninja
    Remote: MCE Remote via iMON OEM receiver
    TV: Panasonic TX-32LXD85
    TV - HTPC Connection: ATi DVI -> HDMI

This is a problem with how subtitles are displayed within Mediaportal during a live TV programme (as in, the programme is having subtitles transcribed whilst airing. Classic examples are News, Live sports etc). If a programme is viewed in VLC, live-transcribed subtitles are displayed like this (number represents order the words are displayed):

Line 1 - 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
    Line 2 - 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    Once Line 2 fills up, it is shifted to Line 1 (i.e. is a fixed line of text). Line 2 displays each word as it arrives.

In MediaPortal, the same programme will display the subtitle stream like this:

Line 1 - 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
    Line 2 - 2
    3-9 are not displayed on Line 2, the subtitles stay fixed until Line 2 is filled, then 2-9 are shifted up to Line 1 and Line 2 only display 10.

I'm sorry about how this is described but it is better viewed then written down! I have a sample .ts which is a 1 minute clip of a programme from BBC 4 having subtitles transcribed. Viewing this clip within MediaPortal side-by-side with VLC, the problem would be easy to see. If ftp details can be given out, I can upload the clip.

Also attached are logs from me viewing the .ts clip in the RecordedTV section of MediaPortal

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Sounds like it would require a bigger changes in the way how subtitles are decoded / rendered in MP. Not sure if I'm going to start to dig into this issue anytime soon, sorry.

nobbly

Portal Member
    September 18, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    I posted on this same problem back in 04/2008. Here's the link -
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-tsreader-based-25838/index16.html#post252905

I have two problems with DVB Subtitles:

Problem 1:

When rewinding a .ts recording or live TV and then resuming play, the subtitles no longer show until the original point is reached and then they begin to display again. To clarify:

I watch from point A to point B. If I rewind from point B back to point A and then resume playing, the subtitles no longer show from point A to point B. They begin to show again after point B.

This is a big problem as when I am unable to keep up with fast displaying subtitles (perhaps due to fast talking) it is not possible to rewind and re-display the subtitles. I mainly use rewinding/fast forwarding to navigate as it usually provides a more accurate method of replaying.

This problem does not occur with fast forwarding or jumping/stepping backwards/forwards, i.e. they do display the subtitles.

Problem 2:

A more minor issue than above is the display of subtitles in live broadcasts such as BBC News 24 etc (and the playing back in MediaPortal of the recordings of those live broadcasts). Subtitles with live broadcasts should display one word at a time with each word coming after the last on the same line until the line is full and then a new line is displayed as follows:

word1

word1 word2

word1 word2 word3

word1 word2 word3 word4

word1 word2 word3 word4 word5

word1 word2 word3 word4 word5 word6

word7

word7 word8

word7 word8 word9

word7 word8 word9 word10

word7 word8 word9 word10 word11

word7 word8 word9 word10 word11 word12

word13

word13 word14 etc...

The above is what a set top box displays as does VLC and other TV software.

However MediaPortal does not display them correctly like above. MediaPortal displays the subtitles with one full line with the second line with only one word. Then these are replaced with a new line of words with the second line again with only one word. As follows:

word7

word13

word13 word14 word15 word16 word17 word18
    word19

etc.....

This makes reading the subtitles quite difficult as it is at odds with the normal display of subtitles.

I am currently using TV Server version 18062 (& same MediaPortal SVN) as this is the most stable for my system. However I've been using the DVB subtitles feature in MediaPortal since about Version 6 of the DVB subtitles, and since then all versions and SVN's have had the same two problems as given above. It makes no difference what codec I'm using (I'm currently using a Cyberlink video codec). Windows XP, DVB-T.

Please let me know if you require any further information such as samples etc.

The live subtitles problem is not particularly a big issue for me as most live subtitles aren't particularly that accurate anyway, particular the BBC's! Although Channel 4 live subtitles seem to display properly, well at least the last time I checked.

However, what is still a big issue for me is the rewind problem - it's still there! Using rew/ffwd is a far better way of navigating than skipping, and is what most people would expect to use on standard commercial equipment such as pvr's, as well dvd players etc, and I am a bit surprised this bug hasn't yet been fixed. I will post a bug report at some time about the rewind issue to see if anything comes of it, particularly as MediaPortal is now much better at rew/ffwd. Oh and there is another bug with DVB subtitles where the subtitles often get missed with TV channels E4 & E4+1.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Oh and there is another bug with DVB subtitles where the subtitles often get missed with TV channels E4 & E4+1.

Please post a full bug report about that issue (including a TS recording sample that can be used to reproduce the issue). Otherwise I cannot solve the possible bug.

nobbly

Portal Member
    September 18, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    Oh and there is another bug with DVB subtitles where the subtitles often get missed with TV channels E4 & E4+1.

Please post a full bug report about that issue (including a TS recording sample that can be used to reproduce the issue). Otherwise I cannot solve the possible bug.

Will do. Will take a few days for me to do so though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom