Live TV and DVD flickering (1 Viewer)

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Are you running 1080p or 1080i (interlaced) ? I have tried setting no deinterlacing and auto in the television settings in MP if thats what you mean. If you are talking content I think all of our TV here is interlaced.

It was the 9500GT output I was referring to i.e. the PC -> TV video connection. I suspect it's running at 1080p since you have a modern TV.

When you say flicker, do you mean the picture disappears briefly, or black flashes etc ?

Tony

allanw

Portal Member
    August 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Ok sorry I have checked that setting and definately running 1080p. The following text is part of someone's post from another forum (i hope that's allowed) which describes the problem I am having quite well:

Judder becomes a problem especially with camera movement, e.g. a pan, that becomes medium tempo and is exacerbated by hard-edged, vertical objects - the nightmare scenario being the medium pan across a picket fence outside a house. If the pan is fast enough, the vertical boards of the picket fence will become blurred on each frame of film, creating a blurred-together look as we watch it on screen. This looks fairly natural to us, since objects in motion blur in our vision naturally (just wave your hand in front of your face, especially under low lighting if you haven't noticed it before). But if the pan gets slower, the individual pickets in the fence are captured with less blur, until you can see the more discrete, more defined pickets. But at 24 fps doesn't allow capture (at such a speed) of all the successive positions needed for a smooth motion. So
    what you notice are the pickets stuttering across the screen, because the camera has only captured the pickets in position A...D...G...J...M.....instead of all the steps....ABCDEFGHIJKLM
    (Or I....I....I....I....I....I instead of a continuos IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII).

That prett much sums up what I see and to me it the objects appear to flicker but maybe the term "flicker" in this regard is not the correct word to use. After reading the rest of the post and others it appears that what I see is something I cannot completely get rid of, just try to minimise its visibility.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    OK, I'd describe that effect as judder, but I understand what you mean now.

Unfortunately this problem seems to be getting worse since more TV is being shot as HD @ 24/25/30 frames-per-second progressive, so the motion is inherently less smooth than traditional interlaced video.

A thought - in the nVidia control panel, make sure that 'pulldown detection' (or similar) is enabled - it's a tickbox somewhere in the video settings section.

Tony

allanw

Portal Member
    August 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Hi Tony

I did have that option enabled but just did some more testing and it appears that the visibility of this problem is greatly increased when using EVR. I just changed mediaportal to use VMR9 and the problem is almost non existent. I am just not sure that VMR9 is recommended for use in Vista though.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    If all of the hardware acceleration works using VMR9 (check H.264 in particular) then carry on using it. Using EVR is better with Vista because it integrates with the windows desktop graphics handling neatly, but this isn't so much of an issue if MP is the main desktop anyway.

Out of interest, did you have this problem with the HD4350 installed ?

Tony

allanw

Portal Member
    August 11, 2007
    Home Country
    I don't believe I had this problem with the 4350 but did have other issues with the ATI drivers.

By accident I have found that without haali media splitter installed the problem is also reduced greatly when using EVR so I have left it uninstalled tonight while I watch TV and im quite happy with the resulting image quality. Maybe there is a setting in haali media splitter that is causing the problem so I am going to install it again and see if I can find out exactly what causes the problem.

FunkyMunkey

Portal Member
    December 4, 2008
    Leeds
    Home Country
    England England
    I'm having the same problem with judder when I watch TV or play any MKV or AVI file within MediaPortal. It doesn't happen when I play things through KMPlayer, so it's definitely a problem with MediaPortal. It's annoying the hell out of me when I watch TV

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom