[solved] Live TV OK, will not record (1 Viewer)

Ports

Portal Member
September 20, 2016
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I made the jump from windows MCE this summer. I over the summer I had the system set up and running multiseat clients all working well. However not that the new tv season is upon us the scheduled recordings will not work. A manual recording from the TVserver configuration does create an entry into the TSwriter log, but I don't get anything from the clients. I have tried to reinstall, and subsequently upgraded to 1.15. I suspected that windows firewall had changed somehow, but I completely turned it off to no avail. WAF is dropping quickly.

Thanks
Aaron

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Aaron

...but I don't get anything from the clients.
    I don't understand what you mean. Please help me to understand by providing step by step instructions describing what you do.

Please also use the provided Watchdog tool with option 1 to reproduce the problem and collect full log files from the client.

Regards,
    mm

Ports

Portal Member
    September 20, 2016
    Home Country
    sorry that I wasn't clear. Complete client log has been attached.

Earlier this summer I somehow sucsessfully had the system up and running and recording re-runs. Then end of july / early august they just stopped. I hadn't noticed because I was not checking anymore. When I use the timeshift tab on the tvserver app and manually record a stream I was able to record a channel. At the same time I could see an event in the tswriter log on the server. When i switch over to the client I don't see any attempt to start the recording on the server. Live TV has been working the whole time.

Thanks again for your patience.
    Aaron

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Do you record to a NAS drive at all? If so, is the TV service running under the username of an approved account on the NAS?

Ports

Portal Member
    September 20, 2016
    Home Country
    I don't use an Nas. I think the server is running as admin. The tuners record to HDD in the server. I did have issues originally setting up the file sharing on the server, but after much fighting with what I thought I won that battle. User should have permissions set for the client machines set R/W to the recorded TV folder. Shares are network shares in the TV server, I originally made the mistake of having them local when I installed.

Thanks
    Aaron

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Aaron, I don't see any problem in the client log files:
    [2016-09-20 05:48:29,702] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - TVProgammInfo_OnRecordProgram - programm = Family Feud(ID:133142) on 3 9/20/2016 5:30:00 AM - 9/20/2016 6:00:00 AM
    [2016-09-20 05:48:33,045] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - AssignSchedulesToCard: free on card 0, ID = 3
    [2016-09-20 05:48:33,049] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - TVProgramInfo.CreateProgram - conflicts.Count = 0 - notViewable.Count = 0
    [2016-09-20 05:48:33,052] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - TVProgramInfo.CreateProgram - create schedule = Family Feud on 3 9/20/2016 5:30:00 AM - 9/20/2016 6:00:00 AM ID=0

User should have permissions set for the client machines set R/W to the recorded TV folder.
    I don't think this is relevant - at least for the client that you provided log files for - because it looks like your clients are configured to access recordings using RTSP streaming. When using RTSP streaming, MediaPortal on the client never actually directly accesses the recording files. The TV Server streams them to the client. Same applies for live TV.

...I originally made the mistake of having them local when I installed.
    As above: this is not a mistake unless you specifically configure MP to access the files directly, which is not the default behaviour.

Ports

Portal Member
    September 20, 2016
    Home Country
    Aaron, I don't see any problem in the client log files:

I don't think this is relevant - at least for the client that you provided log files for - because it looks like your clients are configured to access recordings using RTSP streaming. When using RTSP streaming, MediaPortal on the client never actually directly accesses the recording files. The TV Server streams them to the client. Same applies for live TV.

As above: this is not a mistake unless you specifically configure MP to access the files directly, which is not the default behaviour.
    Even though the log shows a recording has been scheduled. No files or transport streams are added to the folder on the server. It seems the server isn't getting the request and the clients don't know this is happening.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Ports

Portal Member
    September 20, 2016
    Home Country

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It seems the server isn't getting the request and the clients don't know this is happening.
    Impossible.
    The client log files show is that the schedule is created successfully. The question now is why the server is not actioning the schedule... and there are any number of possible reasons for that, most of them unlikely to be related to VPNs.

If you'd like me to continue to assist you, what I'd need from you next would be:
    1. Client log files from the Watchdog showing creation of a schedule.
    2. Details from you describing the program that you schedule to record (ie. the channel that it is on, what date and time it starts, how long it is, and anything else you think is relevant.
    3. Details from you describing any activity that might be happening on clients or the server at the time of the recording (eg. programs running, virus scans etc.).
    4. Corresponding server log files showing server startup and the time when the schedule should be actioned (recorded). For example, if you create a schedule for a program that starts at 6 PM and runs for 1 hour, please provide the server log files that show the TV Server starting (not resuming from sleep/hibernation) and cover at least 5 PM through 7 PM on the relevant day.

Ports

Portal Member
    September 20, 2016
    Home Country
    1. Logs attached.
    2. Attempted to record Thursday Night Football. Channel 62-1, 8:25-11:15
    3. Nothing running but chrome and remote desktop to server.
    4. Server logs attached. The server is always on.

I had recorded untold re-runs of big band theory and wild kratts this summer while testing. Then it just stopped. They are still scheduled but no longer recording as well.

Thank you so very much for your assistance.
    Aaron

Attachments

• TVService.zip
      405.6 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom