Live TV stuttering due to IFC? (1 Viewer)

gregpeters

Portal Pro
August 7, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi,

Everything was working fine on my HTPC, except live TV. Live TV (especially HDTV) started to stutter after some seconds/minutes. Stutter went away after deactivating IFC. Did someone else experience the same thing? Is there anything I can send (log, etc?) that might be useful for further diagnosis?

This is my system

Hardware
- Antec Fusion Remote
- Scythe Ninja mini
- AMD Athlon X2 4850e Sockel-AM2 tray, 2x 2.50GHz
- Samsung SpinPoint HD502IJ -- system, MePo
- Samsung SpinPoint HD103SJ -- recordings, time shift
- TechniSat CableStar HD2/HDTV DVB-C PCI
- Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H, 780G
- DDR2 2 x 2048MB KIT PC 800 Corsair XMS2 CL4-4-4-12

Software:
- Windows 7 Professional 32Bit SP1
- Mediaportal 1.2.2.0
- SAF v603
- Microsoft Security Essentials (timeshift and recordings folders as well as TV-Server process excluded)
- ATI CCC Treiber 8.641

Cheers,

Greg

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Do you have an access to Nvidia GPU?

Before any ATI fanatic jumps on my face - it is known that ATI (and Intel) have really bad performance when you need to copy texture data from GPU merory to RAM. So, it would be nice to see if the íssue is caused by bad memory bandwith in "non-normal" direction. If using Nvidia GPU helps then there is two possibilities to help ATI / Intel users, but they require changes to MP itself:

1) allow plugins to write some pixel shader code and process the video frames directly in GPU memory space
    2) allow plugins to copy downscaled textures for processing (IFC would work almost as good even if the video frame would be scaled to 25% - few missed lines in accuracy is quite good compromize when comparing to stuttering)

gregpeters

Portal Pro
    August 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Live TV stuttering due to IFC?

Sorry, but I don't have access to a Nvidia GPU.

Cheers,

Greg

May I add that I just recently switched from Win XP Pro SP3 to Win 7 Pro SP1. I used to apply the IFC-plugin on my old XP-system too and I never experienced any stuttering when watching live HDTV.

Cheers,

Greg

May I also add that I identified/verified the problem with the DPC Latency Checker tool: there was a clear correlation between stuttering and peaks in latency. All latency issues vanished after deactivating IFC.

I hope you find this information useful.

Cheers,

Greg

flintstone99

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 19, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Live TV stuttering due to IFC?

Hi,

read this thread and tested.....and without IFC stuttering is gone!!!! Switched to "viewmodeswitcher" and works fine. now in live TV.
    However, I was using IFC for quite some time and initilly gthere was no stuttering with it, not sure after which change it appeared

regards
    flintstone

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi, I have recently started using IFC (the latest version) and too can confirm it is causing issues (including stuttering) on my system.

I don't just see it with just livetv though, but also when playing files in TVSeries. I experience alot of frame movement from the plugin, it correctly sets for instance a 4:3 video to the correct aspect ratio when starting playback but then later on it still seems to want to make crazy adjustments to the zoom, and eventually goes back to normal.

I see the stuttering (not always) but I have noticed on occasion it doing this when it is trying to adjust the zoom. Sometimes it settles down once the adjustment is made, and then other times it continues stuttering, sometimes with the picture zooming in and out very slightly. Stopping playback and then starting the file again completely cures the problem everytime.

I have had to disable it, which is a shame because when it works, it ussually works well.

1stdead

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2008
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Re: AW: Live TV stuttering due to IFC?

Hi,

read this thread and tested.....and without IFC stuttering is gone!!!! Switched to "viewmodeswitcher" and works fine. now in live TV.
    However, I was using IFC for quite some time and initilly gthere was no stuttering with it, not sure after which change it appeared

regards
    flintstone

it happened randomly by me.

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi guys,

Is Marvman still about? (hope he's ok)

Is IFC still being developed?

I still have a stuttering issue on one of my clients (Nvidia) with IFC. :(

I know there was talk of writing it, so that it didnt continuely (ie everything x seconds) check, but only did it for the first x seconds on content start/change?

J

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom