JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi

Never found need for more than 4GB on MePo [but my use is strictly MePo with limited plugins - your mileage may vary] with Win7 Pro 64 bit - unless your time shifting on same box (my TV server separate) then yes, fully recommended - faster, quieter and less power use:)

I use Dataram RAMDisk - Free version on TV Server (1.3 Beta) - there are many others which have been fully recommended in Forum, just happens to be the one I use and it works for me, never had issue with it.

Setup, whatever utility you use to create RAM disk will give you a virtual drive, just set your TS buffer pointing at that, simple.

Sizing of of your RAM disk - if your source is HD & you want long timeshift obviously need a lot more, suggest you tinker with parameters in TV Server, it'll let you know how much disk space you need, then size your RAM disk based on that - 3G vs 2G perhaps may work better for you (RAMDisk free version is limited to 4G anyway, and I'd not go less than 4G for OS & MePo).

Good luck - JCMP

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I mention 2x4GB Value Kingston RAM as it's cheaper than the 2x2GB HyperX Kingston, yes you can definitely get away with 4GB and run quite well if you want to keep costs even lower.

caveman

Portal Pro
    August 2, 2007
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Well it's my HTPC ;) Who cares about the cost? :)
    I will defently get the 8GB, and use some of it for the TS buffer. So that is a good trick (that i did not think off).
    So now I know 8GB RAM.
    Now I just have to decide for the rest :)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Well then go for intel cpu because you might get away with using the stock cooler, and that money can pay for an SSD for the OS+MePo.

4Fred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2005
    Jönköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I like you are on DVB-C and just like you I used to have the Fire-DTV firewire issue everytime I looked for a new mobo.
    I then went and got me a new tuner and went for the network based hdhomerun (HDHR3-EU) and have never looked back.
    For me I got out of the firewire problem, got faster channel switch time and the ability to run my tv server virtualized and I don't need to place the tv server anywhere near the antenna socket.
    Sorry for sounding like a hdhomerun sales person, I can assure you I'm not, but I'm really really happy with it!

caveman

Portal Pro
    August 2, 2007
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Does the hdhomerun (HDHR3-EU) support CAM? The TV provider i use (Yousee in Denmark) has alot of crypted chanels.
    Thats the reason why i'm still stuck with the Fire-DTV :)

Yes a SDD for the OS would defntly be a good idea.

4Fred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2005
    Jönköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Does the hdhomerun (HDHR3-EU) support CAM? The TV provider i use (Yousee in Denmark) has alot of crypted chanels.

Thats the reason why i'm still stuck with the Fire-DTV :)

That's the downside, only FTA and there is no version supporting DVB with a CAM :(

caveman

Portal Pro
    August 2, 2007
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Well that solved that question..
    So i have the option to install a PCI-E Fire-wireCard.
    Or upgrade to the "new" version of the Fire-DTV thingi..
    But i think withe this budget getting a "bit" high, probably i will also change the amplifier, to be able for HDMI though it.
    So the TV card will have to wait.

caveman

Portal Pro
    August 2, 2007
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I finaly installed the OS on the new PC.
    And i'm about to reinstall MePo.

Does anybody know if i can cheat by copieng some of the files from my Backup into the MePo folders?
    Would hate it if i had to reconfigure everyting, including Music / Movies and TVServer?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    if both versions are the same after you have installed the plugins you should be able to copy everything in program files and program data directories (do a backup first). I mention installing plugins first as some plugins put things into the registry when installed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom