Ongoing Livingroom HTPC (1 Viewer)

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    You can copy in database & thumbs directories (I do), also Shortcutter.xml (for my Logitek remote) + your remote settings if you've mapped any keys. I would be very careful about simply copying your main MePo Config back into place though.

If you've changed your TV card, not sure from thread, I would think you would need to redo the TVServer part to be 100% sure.

From personal & recent experience, I can go from blank drive to full MePo in less than 90 mins (would be faster if I had USB3 flash drive:) as my content is held on NAS, so it's OS, OS tweaks & updates, MePo, plugins, base config, copy database, thumbs & couple of other files into place, re-config to check it's good, then GO!

Good luck & good viewing.

TTFN - JCMP

caveman

Portal Pro
    August 2, 2007
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Will do, installing. Copy to Spare drive. And then copy what i can find from the backup. Lets see how bad it goes..
    No TVCard was not replaced, just moved from onboard FireWire to PCIe. So lets hop that still works.

Might have to play a bit with OS tweeks..
    Normaly cant remember what i did to the OS ;)

Tanx

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes if you got a new tv card you will definitely have to redo the tvserver part, but I'm sure the MP client side can all be copied over.

caveman

Portal Pro
    August 2, 2007
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Out of curiosity. I'm planning to use the SQl Server Express 2008 R2.
    What is actualy stored in SQL Express?

Can i copy "anyting" from the tha backup (that probably only had 2005 Express)?

kiwijunglist, JimCatMP and 4Fred
    Thanx for your help and ideas for this new build / rebuild :)

Last edited:

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    If you do an export of channels and schedules you can import this in DB, no matter if you change the TV card. Only the mapping has to be redone. If you upgrade e.g. from DVB-S to DVB-S2 than you need to do a fresh scan to find the new stations..

caveman

Portal Pro
    August 2, 2007
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    It's a bare metal reinstall of new hardware. Not possible to make a the xport / import of channels.. Unfortunatly :) and the last Export was done... Well Long time ago.

Last edited:

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    My OS tweaks.

1) Install termserver'dll hack - I remote manage via RDP.
    2) Add users for management & user for MePo operations (pw & player) on my systems.
    3) Turn off lots of services - which one's depend on what else your using and nature of hardware (bizarrely on my Shuttle box, turning off POWER management service means it looses it's audio system - that took a few reinstalls, head scratching, cursing and general bewilderment to identify).
    4) Check what's in start up - automagic 'driver' update progs to keep hardware 'current' etc.
    5) Take a look at scheduled tasks, remove those that add to load but not to service.
    6) Set OS to autologin player ID on start up.
    7) Turn OFF autoupdates.

And that's it for me.

SQL Express - with 1.x, it's the TVServer stuff only, the client DB stuff is all in the database subdir, but your TV DB's is within the SQL tree (can't check exact path at the moment).

Cheers - JCMP

caveman

Portal Pro
    August 2, 2007
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Well actualy the install and copy didnt work that bad.
    Even the upgrade from SQL Server Express 2005 to 2008 R2, seems to have worked. Again Install, and the replace the database data-files related to MePo.
    All music, tv-series and movies are back.

On the Tv-server (running on the same PC), the channels are present, and i can preview the channels(kind of - The picture is all white).
    and i can also see old recording schedules.

But can not get the connection from from my client to the tv-server to work.
    Just bumps back to the menu when i try, guess that indicates the client cannot connect to the tv-server.
    Tried with the MahineName - IP, no luck.

Why didnt i find the post ysterday, just looked in the TV-Server thread, and it was mention to give the HTPC a fixed IP. Will have to go home an try this.

Last edited:

caveman

Portal Pro
    August 2, 2007
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Enabling the TV plugin, might also help. It's up and running :)
    Now the final ajustments... Hibernate and stuff.. And it's done..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom